Coloring Italian Meringue Butter Cream

Decorating By janethorp Updated 7 Jun 2006 , 6:26pm by KHalstead

janethorp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janethorp Posted 5 Jun 2006 , 1:40am
post #1 of 10

Last time I colored Italian Meringue Butter Cream I put the color in at the end of mixing it and it did not blend well at all and it had lots of spots of white. I want to know when to add the color in so it does not have spots of white.

9 replies
leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 5 Jun 2006 , 2:38am
post #2 of 10

You added it at the right time, just might want to use a different type of color.

I have used the candy colors. They are not water based. I also understand that the americolors work well in IMBC. The buttercream has so much fat from the butter, that the water based color just beads up instead of blending in. Now, I don't know about the white spots. Maybe that will cure it, or might be something else entirely.

I need to get some americolor and try it.

skylightsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skylightsky Posted 5 Jun 2006 , 2:41am
post #3 of 10

I look forward to reading the answers to this question.

janethorp Posted 5 Jun 2006 , 2:44am
post #4 of 10

I was using Americolor.

crouton800 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crouton800 Posted 6 Jun 2006 , 6:41am
post #5 of 10

I've found for IMBC, like leta says, candy colour works well because they are oil based. when i used the wilton paste colours, i would get specks of dark colour. As for the white specks...i'm thinking ,could it be some of the boiled sugar that was not totally blended in? this occurs when the sugar hits the paddle/whisk or sides and hardens before it can be blended. there are discussions on this in previous threads. i'm not sure which threads it was under but you could do a search.

skylightsky Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 1:08pm
post #6 of 10

I was just going to suggest what Leah and Crouton800 suggested.

Sometimes the oil based color can be effective. Especially if you are mixing chocolate with your buttercream. Something about adding water makes the chocolate seize and become brittle.

janethorp Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 3:34pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks for your input. I added Candy color right after the syrup was blended but before the butter was added. It worked beautifully!

skylightsky Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 6:12pm
post #8 of 10

I was just going to suggest what Leah and Crouton800 suggested.

Sometimes the oil based color can be effective. Especially if you are mixing chocolate with your buttercream. Something about adding water makes the chocolate seize and become brittle.

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 6:17pm
post #9 of 10

I use Americolor and Wilton gels with no problem.

Those little white specks are tiny tiny pieces of cooked egg white. That occurs when you have whipped your egg whites too far before adding the sugar syrup. Your whites should be just whipped to soft peaks, any further and they are overprocessed and dry. When the hot sugar hits them, they cook instead of blending smoothly.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 7 Jun 2006 , 6:26pm
post #10 of 10

I only made it once and didn't have any trouble coloring it at all and didn't notice any white specks whatsoever....hmmmm??? I have americolor but I actually used the wilton paste colors (trying to use them up and get em outta here LOL) and I had to mix a bit and was afraid of deflating the icing but it didn't and it blended perfectlly....took a minute or so to get the color even in all the icing though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%