Just Need To Vent - Sorry Its Long

Decorating By sweetness11379 Updated 10 May 2007 , 3:41pm by archanac

sweetness11379 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness11379 Posted 9 May 2007 , 2:05pm
post #1 of 17

My Aunt asked me if I would be willing to make a cake for her daughter's government class but they only had a limited budget left of $14. She understood this would have to be done as mostly a donation and I agreed I would do it (good for business right?). First she says that anything government related would be fine... a flag.... the CAPITOL BUILDING....
$14!!!! and you want the CAPITOL BUILDING?! The cake only needed to feed about 10 kids too so I'm thinking what is SHE thinking? I told her that wasn't possible but I would easily be able to make a flag for her. OK, I'm a crazy cake lady so after starting to plan the cake I decided I could do the dome of the capitol building. It turned out alright although w/ limited budget I wasn't willing to go the full mile and use expensive ingredients (just tried to stick to BC mostly). Cake got picked up fine and now I haven't heard anything back from my aunt. Its been almost a week and I expected to hear something about it. Feedback would be nice. A "thank you for donating your time and doing something you didn't think you were going to be able to do" would be better. Normally, I wait patiently for feedback but because I donated so much I expected at least an email. icon_mad.gif
I feel selfish. She has 6 kids and homeschools 4 of them. Still... normally she emails me very quickly about things. Now my insecurities kick in. Did they not like the way it tasted? Did something happen (fall)? AAAAHHH. Why can't she just email / call? OK, done venting. Thanks everybody!
LL

16 replies
staceyd1984 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyd1984 Posted 9 May 2007 , 2:10pm
post #2 of 17

dont panic! you did a great job im sure she really appreciated it!

Iheartcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iheartcake Posted 9 May 2007 , 2:12pm
post #3 of 17

Maybe you could send her off an email just asking how it went and what everyone thought of the cake. It's really too bad that you have to ask for feedback, but if it's really bothering you, at least asking would make you feel better instead of continuously thinking of the worst case scenario.

Iheartcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iheartcake Posted 9 May 2007 , 2:12pm
post #4 of 17

Oh and cake looks Awesome!! icon_biggrin.gif

Daisy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisy1 Posted 9 May 2007 , 2:17pm
post #5 of 17

What an incredible cake. I would be thrilled to get that cake.

Maybe with 4 homeschooled kids and end of year school stuff your aunt is a little behind.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 9 May 2007 , 2:35pm
post #6 of 17

Well, bless your heart, because I would have said no. A class with 10 kids in it isn't really much of an opportunity for advertising, and honestly, the homeschooling demographic is usually the home baking demographic.

It sucks when people are ungrateful for special favors, and I find with the consumption driven life style a lot of people lead, it's getting all too common for my tastes. I did a $6,000 sweet 16 party last week. It was really a $25,000 sweet sixteen because the birthday girl also got a new car.

It's a lovely cake and you should be very proud. And next time, don't be afraid to say no.

BlairsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlairsMom Posted 9 May 2007 , 2:55pm
post #7 of 17

The cake looks great! I am sure that she is grateful and just hasn't thought to email you yet. Some people are so busy they forget sometimes how important it is to send a quick email. I think sending her an email to see if it went okay would be a great idea!

sweetness11379 Posted 9 May 2007 , 3:17pm
post #8 of 17

I'm just nervous I guess and if it wasn't for my aunt / cousin I WOUL'VE said no. She's usually so good about feedback and communicating I guess that's why I just keep waiting. Alright! Thanks for the votes of confidence. I'll make the first move I guess.

mizshelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mizshelli Posted 9 May 2007 , 3:54pm
post #9 of 17

First thing about donating things---you are donating out of the goodness of your heart, not for advertising or praise. If you are not, then you are not donating, you are giving with restrictions.
Second--yes an e-mail would have been nice to let you know how it went, and certainly a thank you is warranted, but it is the end of the year and people tend to get real busy in the schools. Be patient, all good things come to those who wait.

Third---that cake is wonderful, how could they not have enjoyed it? My experience is that no news is good news, people usually can't wait to talk about something terrible, but if it's great, it takes a while for the word to spread.
That said, I'm sure you'll get your 'ahem' just desserts.........lol icon_biggrin.gif

olana11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olana11 Posted 10 May 2007 , 2:16am
post #10 of 17

Yea, I'd have to say that there must be a legitimate reason why she hasn't gotten in touch yet because the cake is VERY nice thumbs_up.gif - I can't imagine she/they would have been in any way disappointed-great job.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 10 May 2007 , 4:12am
post #11 of 17

What a great cake! How did you make the windows? (yeah, yeah - I'm always fishing for cake tips!!)

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 10 May 2007 , 4:20am
post #12 of 17

Wow, you did a great job. I know how you feel when you go out of your way with your time and trouble and don't even get a thank you. I'm sure she will get back to you.

gabbenmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabbenmom Posted 10 May 2007 , 4:22am
post #13 of 17

Your cake looks GREAT! I am like you and I want feedback like yesterday! I am sure the cake was great! Like the others said, you could send her an email and ask how it went? Tell her you were afraid something went wrong!
You did a great job!

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 10 May 2007 , 4:40am
post #14 of 17

...that cake is friggin' awesome...wow.....kudos to you!!!!!!!
thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

sweetness11379 Posted 10 May 2007 , 3:28pm
post #15 of 17

Thank so much you guys! Still no word back from her but I'm not worried. I just needed to get it off my chest.

Renaejrk, I waited for the icing to crust and brushed silver luster dust on it. Didn't work well but it worked. I would've loved to do this cake with a big budget and working with fondant instead of just BC.

I know I shouldn't have done this if I was going to hold any emotional restrictions on it. Family... icon_rolleyes.gif

FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 10 May 2007 , 3:36pm
post #16 of 17

WOW!!! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

That cake is AWESOME!!! Just be proud! You hard work was worth it to the kids and you got a great photo for your cake book. Give the Aunt the benefit of the doubt and assume she is busy!

You know everyone here is more than happy to pat you on the back!
(pat, pat, pat, pat!!!) icon_biggrin.gif

archanac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
archanac Posted 10 May 2007 , 3:41pm
post #17 of 17

That is an amazing cake! It looks as though A LOT of effort was put in to make that cake. BTW, it's hard to tell from the picture, but did you even make a Statue of Liberty for the top?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%