Stupid Question: Do You Bake One Pan And Torte, Or Two?

Decorating By Newbieone Updated 10 May 2007 , 2:45pm by CakesByEllen

Newbieone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newbieone Posted 9 May 2007 , 1:41pm
post #1 of 13

I just wondered, because I have always baked two pans of the same cake size and then put on top of each other to make one cake. Am I wasting my time, and should I just do one tall one?

Is it a preference thing? I do like tall cakes, but I was just getting ready to make the WASC and I noticed that the author said it bakes one 16'' or one this or one that....and I thought, hey, should I only be baking one here?

Thanks so much...I am very new with a lot to learn.

Christina

12 replies
Iheartcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iheartcake Posted 9 May 2007 , 1:48pm
post #2 of 13

I personally bake two and place them one on top of each other, but I think it's personal prefereance.

Candy120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candy120 Posted 9 May 2007 , 1:53pm
post #3 of 13

First and foremost: There is so such thing as a STUPID question (slap your own hand at this point!)...we all had to learn some time and asking questions is how most of got to where we are now...Any MORE Questions??? icon_smile.gif

I like to bake two pans the same size and torte both of them to make a really BIG cake!! I love to see the expressions on people's faces when they cut into it and there is three layers of color!! Makes my heart feel good!! icon_lol.gif

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 9 May 2007 , 2:37pm
post #4 of 13

I bake two or three cakes usually, and torte each one for specialty cakes, but for wedding etc. I bake one 3 inch and double torte.

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 9 May 2007 , 2:39pm
post #5 of 13

Do all of you torte your big cakes such as 16", if so, how do you keep it from breaking?

snarkybaker Posted 9 May 2007 , 2:54pm
post #6 of 13

I use cake boards as supersized spatulas to move the cake layer, which I cut with an agbay leveller.

angkimbrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angkimbrell Posted 9 May 2007 , 7:08pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by txkat

I bake two or three cakes usually, and torte each one for specialty cakes, but for wedding etc. I bake one 3 inch and double torte.

Does a double torte mean that you cut each layer in half or one layer 4 times??? (sorry for the technical question)

I love to tote, but cant seem to handle anything bigger than 10" cake. But now that I have the power of the cake board, things just might be changing!!

snarkybaker Posted 9 May 2007 , 9:11pm
post #8 of 13

This is three 11/2 inch layers. Torted once:

This is two three inch layers, torted once:

This is one three inch layer, torted twice:

Hope that help.

woodyfam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodyfam Posted 10 May 2007 , 3:02am
post #9 of 13

Oh, no, now I'm hungry!

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 10 May 2007 , 3:13am
post #10 of 13

I bake 2 cakes and torte them both to make 4 layers cake and 3 layers filling.

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 10 May 2007 , 3:24am
post #11 of 13

It depends on the mood I'm in.
But I always bake 2 two-inch tall layers.

Sometimes I just stack them, sometimes I cut them in half to torte.

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 10 May 2007 , 3:33am
post #12 of 13

I usually bake 2 cakes that are each 2" tall then torte each one so I end up with a tall cake with 4 layers of cake and 3 of filling....the cake usually ends up around 4" after they are all leveled and filled.

I used to only stick the two layers together with icing in the center but I like more filling so I do it the first way now

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 10 May 2007 , 2:45pm
post #13 of 13

I like torting the cakes also so I can be sure they are cooked completely through. I have heard enough horror storeis about people (on here) having cakes underbaked.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%