Choc Roses And Hot Hands

Decorating By ValMommytoDanny Updated 9 May 2007 , 4:43pm by swingme83

ValMommytoDanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValMommytoDanny Posted 9 May 2007 , 2:03am
post #1 of 11

Hi, I made the chocolate clay recipe from CC and it hardened up but as soon as I touched it - it got soft and un-moldable.

Anybody have any tricks to keeping this stuff not sticky? I used a freeze pack on my hands and even set the clay on it but to no avail...

darn, double darn.... I wanted to make these roses tonight....

icon_cry.gif

10 replies
MamaBerry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaBerry Posted 9 May 2007 , 4:12am
post #2 of 11

Oooh, I just had this happen. I'm making a meditating buddha ou of chocolate then I'll be applying luster dust on it. My chocolate fondant harden like Elvis' arteries at dinner. icon_razz.gif

I microwaved my fondant for 30 seconds and viola! It was soft enough to work. I also used a little palm oil on the outside to give me the moisture I needed. If you don't have Earth Balance shortening you can use another kind of shortening.

Oh and use sifted cocoa powder instead of confectitionary powder to keep it from getting too sticky.

MamaBerry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaBerry Posted 9 May 2007 , 4:13am
post #3 of 11

Ooops, double post.

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 9 May 2007 , 4:29am
post #4 of 11

I hope someone has a solution, I have the same problem. My hands are to hot. I keep a bowl of ice next to me to dip my hands in but doesn't work!!
I so wanted to try my hand at the choco roses. I even tried mixing it with fondant. I just get a gooey mess.

torki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torki Posted 9 May 2007 , 9:28am
post #5 of 11

I also have this problem.....my hands melt everything not matter what I do..ice water, ice packs etc... the advantage to hot hands is that I can get a really nice shine on fondant...just don't ask for choc flowers!!

didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 9 May 2007 , 10:12am
post #6 of 11

I might have to try these, and put my ice cold hands to good use!!!!

ribbitfroggie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ribbitfroggie Posted 9 May 2007 , 12:04pm
post #7 of 11

You know after making them several times, I found the best way to do them was to make all of the petals, leave them to "dry" out a little, only talking like 5-10 minutes here, enough for them to harden up a bit, then put the petals together. I also found if you stick them on a lollipop stick or wooden dowel, than they don't get so warm, but I just stop halfway though and let them get back to the right consistency if they get to warm. It stinks, but it is worth it at the end!

peachquilter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peachquilter Posted 9 May 2007 , 12:18pm
post #8 of 11

I have the same problem. Makes me crazy! Glad to hear there are others suffering with me. icon_wink.gif ribbitfroggie, will have to try that.

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 9 May 2007 , 2:36pm
post #9 of 11

Could you wear cotton gloves.?

konditoralex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
konditoralex Posted 9 May 2007 , 4:29pm
post #10 of 11

Try wearing a pair of latex gloves, you can get them at most medical supply stores pretty cheaply. You can even double glove if necessary. It is more hygenic if people are going to eat them, and you know that they will. Your hands will sweat and if that is a problem you can get thin cotton gloves and put the latex over those to keep you cooler.

This is good for working with hot sugar as well...

swingme83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swingme83 Posted 9 May 2007 , 4:43pm
post #11 of 11

What is a good recipe for chocoalte clay, and can you use candy melts? do you make the roses just like you would fondant roses?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%