How Do I Get A Lovely Cobalt Blue?

Decorating By terri-jo Updated 9 May 2007 , 3:44pm by VACakelady

terri-jo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terri-jo Posted 8 May 2007 , 1:09pm
post #1 of 6

I have a cake for the weekend that will be a replica of a kneeler in a church. I have the colors for the design done and I'm happy with them. The base is a kind of cobalt blue (I think thats what you'd call it.) Sort of the color of new unspoiled denim. Any ideas for what to mix to achieve this?

5 replies
ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 8 May 2007 , 4:30pm
post #2 of 6

I would make the kneeler of gumpaste or fondant, let it dry and brush it with Cake Centrals Super Blue Luster dust. That is what I used on the Faberge egg and it was the perfect color. If you don't want the shine of luster dust you might use just matte petal dust or even airbrush the piece. I would experiment with mixing a couple of shades of blue Americolor airbrush liquids and spray a scrap piece of gumpaste to try it on. If you are trying to color buttercream a Cobalt blue I am really not sure, maybe a bit of Royal Blue Wilton color, and a bit of Cornflower blue?

FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 8 May 2007 , 4:33pm
post #3 of 6

I would try a mix of Royal blue and Delphin blue.

Good luck!

VACakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VACakelady Posted 9 May 2007 , 8:55am
post #4 of 6

I'm glad that this question was posted. I have a bride that wants a "calypso blue" bow and ribbon on her cake. My concern is that most of the blue luster dusts that I've seen (at Country Kitchen) states that it should not be eaten due to a certain ingredient. Not sure what it was cause I'm at work and don't have my catalog with me.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 9 May 2007 , 1:24pm
post #5 of 6

I'm glad you asked that, I've been wondering that myself.

VACakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VACakelady Posted 9 May 2007 , 3:44pm
post #6 of 6

The Country Kitchen catalog states many blue luster dusts "contain Iron Blue or Chromium Oxide and are for decorative use only." I would be using it on a fondant bow and fondant ribbons on a buttercream cake. Of course the bow won't get eaten, but I couldn't guarantee that the ribbons wouldn't. Kinda worries me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%