Cornelli Lace?

Decorating By momof5kiki Updated 13 May 2007 , 10:08pm by Loucinda

momof5kiki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof5kiki Posted 8 May 2007 , 11:55am
post #1 of 41

OK this may sound like a dumb question, but how the heck do you do this? Is it freehand, or is there an impression matt?

40 replies
lanesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanesmom Posted 8 May 2007 , 12:06pm
post #2 of 41

It's freehand and the trick to doing it correctly is to not lift your tip and never allow the lines to cross. I love cornelli lace, that's what I had on my wedding cake, but the lady who did it did not do a good job and it looked sloppy. I was very disappointed in it. icon_sad.gif

loncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loncake Posted 8 May 2007 , 12:10pm
post #3 of 41

I've never seen an impression mat, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. I just do it free hand, try practicing ( write a pattern on a piece of paper, put wax paper/parchment paper/plastic wrap, then follow the pattern with thin icing, good luck

momof5kiki Posted 8 May 2007 , 12:38pm
post #4 of 41

well I was looking, and I saw an impression mat, but it was $60! All the other matts were cheaper, so I didn't understand why that one was so high. Now I can't even remember where I saw it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 May 2007 , 1:08pm
post #5 of 41

This design is so intricate that I would think it would be harder to follow an impression. Think of it as making a lot of S's and R's. Lines never touch, never cross. The smaller the tip, the more elegant it looks. Take LOTS Of break when doing this! Your hands will cramp like you wouldn't believe!

kbochick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbochick Posted 8 May 2007 , 2:41pm
post #6 of 41

I love the way cornelli lace looks, but man, it's a pain! I do it freehand as well, and I still need more practice. My lines touch all over the place. Like Debi said, allow plenty of time for breaks to shake out your hand, or you'll come away with a claw!

ncbert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncbert Posted 8 May 2007 , 2:53pm
post #7 of 41

I just learned this in class and remember to not have any lines straight looking.keep them curving.....

hope this helps...

mullett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mullett Posted 8 May 2007 , 2:56pm
post #8 of 41

I believe Global Sugar Art has a impression mat for Cornelli Lace. I saw one somewhere this moring, it was around 45.00. and i think that is the site i was on. try Globalsugarart.com
best of luck.

mullett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mullett Posted 8 May 2007 , 2:58pm
post #9 of 41

it was global sugar art the item # is 19109 it is 18 x 24 inches and price is 58.99 hope this helps

archanac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
archanac Posted 8 May 2007 , 3:07pm
post #10 of 41

Country Kitchens has the cornelli lace impression mat for $48:

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/mini.aspx?T=1&SubCatId=1327

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 8 May 2007 , 3:16pm
post #11 of 41

my tip along with all the others is to do it with a small tip and small patterns...it looks nicer small. it will take longer but you will get a different look.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 8 May 2007 , 4:07pm
post #12 of 41

Use tip #1 for the prettiest (the smaller the lines the daintier it is) I try to think of making C's, R's and S's when doing this technique. It is very easy to do, you really don't need an impression mat for it. As indi said above, take lots of breaks when doing it, or your hand will crap. Having the icing on the thin side helps too. Here is a pic of one I did in almost all Cornelli. I would work 10 minutes, then take a break. took a while to get it all done - but it turned out pretty good.

lanesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanesmom Posted 8 May 2007 , 4:14pm
post #13 of 41

Quadcrew, you did a great job on your cornelli lace! That is what I was dreaming of for my wedding cake, but the woman who did it used like a regular writing tip and the lines were far apart and were just like ugly squiggly lines going everywhere icon_confused.gif Not, the pretty S's and C's like you have. Great job!

archanac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
archanac Posted 8 May 2007 , 4:25pm
post #14 of 41

That is a wonderful job on your cornelli lace, quadcrew. There is so much surface area that you covered and such a small writing tip. How long did it take to make it? The word "arthritis" is going through my head just looking at it.

Loucinda Posted 8 May 2007 , 4:40pm
post #15 of 41

Thank you for the nice comments. It took me a little over 2 hours to do just the lace on this cake. It was a 10" heart double layer. I had one of those exercise balls that I would stop and squeeze for a few minutes every break I took. It was worth it all though - the bride to be was THRILLED with this cake, and that just tickles me! When Cornelli is done right, it is beautiful. I have seen some not so great jobs with it though too, and it just doesn't look nearly as nice when it is a bigger tip.

momof5kiki Posted 8 May 2007 , 5:38pm
post #16 of 41

That is an amazing cake!

konditoralex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
konditoralex Posted 8 May 2007 , 5:50pm
post #17 of 41

What tip did you use for that delicate work, it is a beautiful cake! I know that I have had to do a few in the style and am glad that I had a quality tip as I had started out with Wiltons and they always curled up at the end the finer you go.

Loucinda Posted 8 May 2007 , 6:02pm
post #18 of 41

Thank you! I used the Wilton tip #1. I didn't have any trouble with it.

TxAgGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TxAgGirl Posted 8 May 2007 , 6:30pm
post #19 of 41

I love making cornelli lace because I don't stress about the icing underneath being exactly perfect! thumbs_up.gif

If there is a nick her or there, I can just make sure a line crosses over it!

I'm only a newbie, and I didn't find it terribly hard to do.

lh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lh Posted 8 May 2007 , 6:34pm
post #20 of 41

how do you do it on the side of the cake though? i have so much trouble with the sides.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 May 2007 , 6:49pm
post #21 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by lh

how do you do it on the side of the cake though? i have so much trouble with the sides.

elevate the cake so it's at eye level or higher. That helps.

dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 11 May 2007 , 6:53pm
post #22 of 41
momof5kiki Posted 11 May 2007 , 6:58pm
post #23 of 41

wow that rolling in is awesome!!!!!!

sweetpea8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea8 Posted 11 May 2007 , 7:53pm
post #24 of 41

i just recently had the opportunity to do cornelli lace on a wedding shower cake and i absolutely LOVED doing it. it was almost theraputic for me.
i just kept making a 'W' and 'M' shape. C's and S's are good too. icon_smile.gif

anyway, IMO, i wouldn't even bother with the impression mat.
i think you'll find it actually looks harder to do than it really is. just practice a little and go for it! i'm sure you'll be impressed with your results! thumbs_up.gif

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 11 May 2007 , 7:57pm
post #25 of 41

Cornelli lace can be a beautiful touch on cakes buit too often it is done incorrectly. I see it done with large piping tips, lines that touch or cross over, or just go in a squiggly straight line. Good cornelli is done with a #1 piping tip, royal icing, it does not cross over lines, it does not touch, it goes in a planned random pattern, not in a straight line. It is done closely together, but not over crowded. There are not large spaces between lines.

I am not sure what you can tell by these photos, but the second one is done incorrectly, the piping tip is too large and the lines too far apart.
The first one is how good cornelli should look, very delicate but random pattern, not touching, not crossing over one another.
LL
LL

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 11 May 2007 , 8:11pm
post #26 of 41

Everyone's advice has been helpful because I have wanted to try cornelli but have been afraid to. ShirleyW - the examples you posted were great.

My problem is that I try to just doodle cornelli on paper (not even getting near icing and a bag yet) and it just looks like algae! I can't get it to look lacy...no matter what. And that is just with a pen and paper. Somehow I am just not understanding this technique...

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 11 May 2007 , 8:15pm
post #27 of 41

I need this info for a cake I am doing in June, so

Big Save! icon_smile.gif

And Thanks!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

alibugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alibugs Posted 11 May 2007 , 8:35pm
post #28 of 41

hey, that's my cake on the bottom.
Just joking.
Shirley's tips and examples are great. I don't like alot of cornelli lace, because alot of people don't do it right.

Housemouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Housemouse Posted 11 May 2007 , 8:39pm
post #29 of 41

I'm not sure what you can tell from those photos either... maybe the cornelli exhibited in the second photo doesn't meet the traditionalist/old school rules in terms of spacing and tip size but other than that I can't see what is so awful for it to be deemed incorrect. 'Different' yes, but not incorrect. If you want a delicate pattern you use a small size tip - if you want a bolder design you use a larger tip. Fashions change, times change.

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 11 May 2007 , 8:47pm
post #30 of 41

i just learned cornelli on wilton's course 3 class. The teacher said to just go freely. didn't say anything about s & r's. I think this will work well for cover ups w/me. I also found that if the icing is super thinned it works great.

http://www.bakedecoratecelebrate.com/techniques/cornellilace.cfm

http://www.wilton.com/decorating/basic/lacework.cfm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%