Help!! Bc Got Funky!!! Desperate!!!

Decorating By ellepal Updated 2 Jun 2006 , 2:13pm by jmt1714

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 2:24am
post #1 of 9

Please help a desperate pregnant woman..... I have 6 cakes due Saturday, still teaching full time, and started my 1/2 and 1/2 wilton buttercream this evening to get ahead a little. It came out like GRAVEL it was so gritty!! It is really hot in my kitchen (no central air with oven on).

I don't have tons of time to keep screwing up BC....is there a way to bring this BC back to normal, or do I start over? HELP!!!!

Thanks!
Ellen

8 replies
ellepal Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 2:32am
post #2 of 9

Ok, come on! I need ya!! icon_sad.gif

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 2:44am
post #3 of 9

I'm sorry, I've never had this problem! But I just did a search because this does seem to come up from time to time. The common thread in all the problems seems to be the humidity. Possible solutions are:

1. More liquid
2. Add meringue powder to stabilize
3. Make sure you sift your powdered sugar (and/or make sure you use good quality powdered sugar)

Other than that...I don't know, I hope someone else comes up with something for ya!

ellepal Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 2:47am
post #4 of 9

Thanks...I used dominoes sugar. I did use the exact measurements, but it seemed to appear liquidy (maybe due to the heat). I am going to chill it and remix....I am praying that will work!

ihavasweet2th Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ihavasweet2th Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 2:58am
post #5 of 9

I had that problem once and figured out that I had used powdered sugar made from sugar beets which caused the grittiness. I will only use pure cane sugar now. Don't know if Domino sugar is made from sugar beets or sugar cane so I can't help you there! That was the only time I had trouble with grittiness.

Hope this helps and you get it straightened out!

~luraleigh~

ellepal Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 3:04am
post #6 of 9

That's a good thought, but I've been using dominoes since I've started cakes, and never had a problem. I think it may be the heat and humidity. I will rebeat the frosting...hopefully, it will be ok!

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 4:59am
post #7 of 9

Dear Desperate Pregnant Cake Decorator:

Do what I do when the AC is on the fritz: if you have a basement, go down there with your KA, your ingredients, and a card table, where it is cool, and mix away! You'll be comfy, your ingredients will be comfy, and it'll be all good!

I second the comment about beet sugar. I used WalMart brand 10x once, I'll never do it again. There were these sharp bitter bits in it that I can't explain except I bet it was beet sugar. yeccchhh!

Domino 10x is apparently all cane sugar, and that's what I use.

Also keep in mind that 10x has a little cornstarch in it, so if the humidity is extreme that might be a culprit.

ellepal Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 11:56am
post #8 of 9

well, I guess that was the culprit! I will try that! I put it in the fridge and let it cool down, and it seemed to synthesize a little bit......it's a lot cooler today, so hopefully, it won't give me problems!

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 2:13pm
post #9 of 9

just a comment on the "bitter bits" in the WM sugar. Don't blame beets. Processing maybe, but not the beets.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%