Questions About Color Flow

Decorating By mami2sweeties Updated 12 May 2005 , 8:09pm by cakemommy

mami2sweeties Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mami2sweeties Posted 12 May 2005 , 7:09pm
post #1 of 5

I am trying to use color flow. I don't remember a lot from taking the Wilton classes. (I took all 3 levels) In the directions it says it is grease sensitive and if I remember correctly it says not to but directly on buttercream but to use a sugar cube. Can someone please let me know about how to use this? I want to make a trumpet for a grad cake but I need to know if I can set this on butter cream. I don't remember our teacher telling us that using butter cream was grease sensitive.

Thanks!

mami2sweeties

4 replies
Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 12 May 2005 , 7:24pm
post #2 of 5

You'll treat color flow pieces the same way you do royal icing ones. I'd use the sugar cube. Odds are the trumpet will just soften but better safe than sorry.

http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/icing/colorflow.cfm

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 12 May 2005 , 7:27pm
post #3 of 5

buttercream has grease meaning butter.margarine and crisco all are grease

a marshmello will work also

Now depending on the color sometime you can get away with putting on buttercream this is what I do on a well crusted cake place 4 spots of frosting if you have royal icing that is the best but I have used buttercream hopfully you have while areas on the color flow if so put in that area Then I pipe a border around it

This works best when putting the color flow on the cake a few hours before the party.

To get around the problem I make a plaque out of gumpaste and let it dry then usuning a light box I do the color flow on it It is sturdy and does not react to the buttercream frosting.

mami2sweeties Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mami2sweeties Posted 12 May 2005 , 7:41pm
post #4 of 5

hmmm.....I have always "glued" royal icing pieces to buttercream with butter and not had any problems with them "breaking down/going gooey". But I get the idea that if I put the color flow piece that is dried on buttercream that it will "break down".

Can I use royal on the color flow without worries? I am assuming so because they are similar in needing to be grease free.

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 12 May 2005 , 8:09pm
post #5 of 5

Royal icing and color flow will soften the longer it sits on buttercream. Sometimes the colors will bleed into the buttercream. If you want, you can place the royal icing/color flow pieces on the cake at the last minute. I do that and I also use sugar cubes for larger color flow pieces. Just push a few sugar cubes into the cake and leave just enough of it above the surface so you can place piece on cake without damaging an already frosted cake. Hope this helps!!!

Amy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%