Help!!need To Transport A Dummy Decorated Cake By Airplane.

Decorating By Ashwini Updated 14 Aug 2007 , 3:30am by Ashwini

Ashwini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashwini Posted 7 May 2007 , 10:42pm
post #1 of 6

I need to transport a 3 tier decorated dummy cake to India from Chicago by flight. I have absolutely no idea how to do so. icon_cry.gif Any pointers to how I can transport it with minimum damage??

5 replies
Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 8 May 2007 , 1:09am
post #2 of 6

Maybe put the cake into a box in which the board is tight and then put that box inside another box with some padding around it.

Make it easy to open in case they want to check inside. Just remind them to be careful.

Good Luck!

Michele

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 8 May 2007 , 1:15am
post #3 of 6

I'm transporting a cake on Monday from Georgia to Utah... not quite the same distance but I'll let you know how I do it and how it goes when I get back.

Rachel

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 8 May 2007 , 5:07am
post #4 of 6

I don't know what size tiers you're using, but for that distance, surely it will have to fit into the overhead bin for the safest transport. Most bins allow for bags that are no more than 10 inches high and 16 inches wide. Space on the floor under the seat is even smaller. Very few planes allow for suit bag storage anymore--if it doesn't fit in the overhead bin or under the seat in front of you, it must be checked into the belly of the plane.

You can send it in the cargo hold, but from the way I've seen the luggage treated, I wouldn't do it icon_surprised.gif

I'd advise taking 3 separate, well boxed tiers and assembling at your destination. Make certain that any packing material touching the cake is free of pattern and print--it will dimple fondant. You can use toilet tissue--it's light and works well. Double sided carpet tape will hold things in place nicely in the box.

I have taken a fully stacked dummy on a plane, but for a short flight and I bought a $35 one way ticket for it. I was permitted to use a seatbelt extender to belt it in for the 1hr. flight. Security was interesting because the box wouldn't fit through the opening of the scanning machine. A security guard had to carry the box through the people scanner and then it was hand inspected--needless to say, they weren't too happy with me!

Let us know how it goes.
Rae

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 8 May 2007 , 2:15pm
post #5 of 6

check with the airlines - if you are goign by yourself, you likely can't take 3 boxes on as carry on.

but if you fit the box to the base board, then the cake won't move at all.

Ashwini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashwini Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 3:30am
post #6 of 6

Thanks a lot guys! I packed the cake with bubble wrap and put it in a cardboard box. stuffed styrofoam and clothes around it, put a lot of tape which said fragile on and checked it in with other luggage. I was all prepared that I would probably never see it in one piece again!! icon_surprised.gif but hey....it reached India and its perfect!!! no damage at all icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%