Americolor Vs. Wilton

Decorating By freddyfl Updated 3 Aug 2011 , 3:43pm by Moovaughan

freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 6:06am
post #1 of 46

In your opinions, do you prefer americolor or wilton?

45 replies
leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 6:27am
post #2 of 46

I haven't used americolor yet, but I swear I want to chuck all my wilton colors in the trash. the Cake Craft brand colors that I have stay smooth, but the wilton ones crystalize. It's a waste. I know I can add glycerine to help smooth them out, but that's just buying another wilton product to correct the crappy one I already spent money on.

Do you know, can you color IMBC with Americolor? I can't use the wilton colors, I have used Liquid Candy colors, like WBH recommends, but there are not as many colors available.

Sorry Freddy, Gosh, ask a simple question...........

brookej01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brookej01 Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 12:02pm
post #3 of 46

I love the americolors. I purchased different ones to use on my daughters dora cake and wow. no bitter flavor and it didnt' take even close to the amount of it takes of wilton colors to get bright vibrant colors. I totally recommend them.

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 12:37pm
post #4 of 46

I agree with brooke - Americolors are the best! I love the color that I get with them. They seem to mix so much smoother than Wilton, too.

frindmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frindmi Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 12:45pm
post #5 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by leta

Do you know, can you color IMBC with Americolor? I can't use the wilton colors, I have used Liquid Candy colors, like WBH recommends, but there are not as many colors available.

Yes, you can. It works wonders. No more little speckles of color in you IMBC. They are the best!

Inma

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 12:48pm
post #6 of 46

Here's my 2 cents!
I love the Americolors!
The ease of using them alone was what sold me.
I have noticed though that sometimes 1 drop of color colors the icing a lot darker than I thought it would and also more than 1 drop of another color. icon_confused.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 1:15pm
post #7 of 46

Americolors all the way!!! I only use wilton in a pinch!!

jackie64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackie64 Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 1:25pm
post #8 of 46

I love Americolors icon_smile.gif

heychele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heychele Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 1:32pm
post #9 of 46

Americolor!! I'm working on cupcakes for a cupcake tree that will be in pink and orange. It only took 1-2 drops to get the bright color I needed! Love it!

Liis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liis Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 3:30pm
post #10 of 46

I bought some americolors because i read here how good they are. i like it how easy it is to use them but they are not so gel as wilton and they make my fondant very soft i also don't think that there is difference that i have to put less americolor than wilton color. if thereis differnece then it is other way that i have to put less wilton to get the same brightness of the color.
My wilton colors have never cristallised. i just wonder that maybe our wilton colors have a better quality than yours there. i have to check where they are made
also i have never tried to color buttercream with americolor so maybe there is the difference but for fondant no. Lets say that i will not by americolors again (lol i ordered s much that most probably will not buy any colors for the next two years anyway)

Ps americolors color my hands much better than wilton does and it doesn't come off either. had to walk around for 4 days with blue thumb because the color just refused to wash off.

this is my honest opinion. icon_redface.gif and i am sorry that i can not say that they are exellent.

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 6:04pm
post #11 of 46

When I went to the ICES convention last year, I stopped by the Americolor booth to take a look at what the big deal was. I was always told that Americolors blew Wilton colors out of the water, but never understood why because I really never had any problems with mine. The rep pulled out some BC icing and Super Red color. Couple of drops and that icing was a nice firetruck red in a matter of seconds!! icon_surprised.gif My mom's and my jaws dropped and I dropped about $100 right on the spot for colors. I think my mom spent about $50. I have not turned back since. I like the fact that I am not going through boxes of toothpicks to get color out--squeeze bottles are the way to go! Americolor even turned me on to neon colors--which I hated--with their electric colors. They are awesome!

I have used Americolors with fondant as well and have not had a problem getting the color I want, though I will agree that it really is hard to get it off your hands. I had to make a large batch of black fondant (used Satin Ice) and I had purplish hands for a few days--even after scrubbing my hands raw for awhile. But I look at it as a sacrifice I can make! Now if I am making MMF, I go ahead and put those colors in just after the MM come out of the nuker--much easier!

joesmom583 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joesmom583 Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 6:17pm
post #12 of 46

I had never heard of Americolors before I joined this site, but when I got an order for a black, red and royal blue cake I knew I had to try them. They were even better then I imagined. When I used Wilton colors it took a hundred toothpicks or butterknifes to try to get PINK, with the Americolors it only took a few drops to get a dark, true BLACK in my MMF. I tell everyone who works with cakes about Americolors and at the price CC has them at it's so worth it.

When it comes to getting it off your hands, I coat my hands in shortening before I start mixing, and the color just washs off.

Sammy-2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sammy-2002 Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 8:19pm
post #13 of 46

I am also an Americolor convert.

When I first started decorating, I bought every color you can imagine of Wilton, just because I didn't know there was anything else. Wilton was all they had at Hobby Lobby and Michaels!

I've since switched to getting most of my decorating supplies at a local store that carries several brands of colors, and I really like the Americolor much better. I agree that the squeeze bottle is so easy to use and you only need a drop or two to achieve the color you want.

I don't feel right throwing out my Wilton colors, but as I run out, I'm replacing them with Americolor!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 8:39pm
post #14 of 46

Americolor all the way. My reasons:

The color is definitely more concentrated - I do use less than I would with Wilton.

Measuring -- I can add the color a consistent 1 drop at a time, until I achieve the color I need. It's not a hit-or-miss, using too much or too little paste.

Handling - I have arthritis, so it is easier for me to handle the single bottle of color, rather than use the two-hand method of digging the paste out of the jar.

Documentation -- I can count the drops I use to achieve the desired color and write it down for the next time I need that color.

Cost - Shop around. Buying Americolor from websites like this one can be far less expensive than buying from the cake supply or craft stores.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 1:51am
post #15 of 46

I have both wilton and americolor. I would throw away all of my wilton if I hadn't spent money on them. I don't believe in wasting any products so I will use both until all the wilton is gone. Then I will restock with AMERICOLOR only! Colors come out much better.

Lydia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lydia Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 1:58am
post #16 of 46

AMERICOLOR!!!!!!!!!!All the way! And I just recieved my order.

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 1:58am
post #17 of 46

Americolor!! I just made red fondant with it the other night. I didn't think I'd be able to do it but Americolor to the rescue!! lol

Also, to keep your hands clean places like Sam's sell gloves like they use in restaurants. They work great and are food safe!

Liis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liis Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 4:48am
post #18 of 46

i just wonder, do you shake your bottles before you use it,
especially if you color fondant? i really don't understand why it is only me who doesn't see the difference. I must be doing something wrong then.

ps i didn't write about the bright white color, i use it to paint on top of the fondant and also mix it with other colors it is exellent to paint on dark bases then. the carlsber label was first time i tried it. this is my favourite discovery ever. if you put bright white and ivory you actualy get something very close to gold color thumbs_up.gif

i use gloves as well but ended up sticking my finger in when opening the bottle very fist time.

MoneysGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MoneysGirl Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 3:11pm
post #19 of 46

Where can I get these amazing Americolors?? icon_biggrin.gif

sun33082 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sun33082 Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 3:23pm
post #20 of 46

I'm thrifty too, and hate to waste. I have at least 20 jars of wilton food coloring. I bought 6 or 7 americolors a while back. So needless to say I have more variety of wilton than americolor.

Has anyone ever mixed wilton and americolor pastes to get a certain color? I've wanted to in the past, but I'm afraid they'll do something funky like separate or something and I'll end up with a mess of a cake.

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 3:37pm
post #21 of 46

MoneysGirl--you can order them here at Cake Central!

sun33082--I have mixed the two of them with no problems. I am constantly mixing colors for various shades or if I don't like what I ended up in the first place. It is rare that I use just a straight color--unless I want just red or black.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 4:11pm
post #22 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneysGirl

Where can I get these amazing Americolors?? icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules/store/food-coloring-c-55.html

thumbs_up.gif

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 4:21pm
post #23 of 46

Americolor all the way. Just look at my red cakes!!!! The squeeze bottle alone was enough to convert me. Not to mention the range of colors available. I go to Michaels you get only the primary colors of Wilton. But, if I go to the cake shop and load up on all the Americolor she carries. WooHoo - happy days. Love, love Americolor!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 10:57pm
post #24 of 46

I use Lucks colors...they are cheaper and you can get really big bottles that last forever! America Colors are also most excellent!

I don't know if Wilton colors just sit on the shelves too long or what, but I have always found them to not blend well and hard to work with. (You don' t have to mess with tooth picks and such with America Color or Lucks)

Helendelk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Helendelk Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 2:00am
post #25 of 46

I hope you guys are right .. I just bought 50.00 + of americolors food coloring... One of each color in the .75 oz then a few large ones... Like 43 total./.... WOW at all the colors...but took me a while to find all of them so heres the link to make it easier if you want to buy them..

for the .75 oz
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules/store/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=.75+oz+food+coloring&categories_id=&x=54&y=18

and for the larger :
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules/store/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=4.5+oz&categories_id=55&x=24&y=10

Azzurra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Azzurra Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 7:25am
post #26 of 46

HI, i bought thies americolors on amazon and i can't wait to try them ... i also saw some metallic and pearl airbrush colors. have you ever use those?

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 7:47am
post #27 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentCakeBaker

I have both wilton and americolor. I would throw away all of my wilton if I hadn't spent money on them. I don't believe in wasting any products so I will use both until all the wilton is gone. Then I will restock with AMERICOLOR only! Colors come out much better.

Ditto! I too spent a fortune on wiltons & then discovered Americolor, what a difference. For every one drop of Americolor I need so much more of Wiltons.
For those interested The Prepared Pantry is having a sale on at the moment for Americolor gels at .59c per gel. You can only order 6 at a time but you can make as many orders as you want.
Americolor all the way!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 2:43pm
post #28 of 46

I use both, and like both. I prefer some of the Wilton shades over Americolors.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 3:11pm
post #29 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I use both, and like both. I prefer some of the Wilton shades over Americolors.

I also use both and love certain things about each type. I do combine colors to make up what I am looking for and they work great.

2xMiMi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2xMiMi Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 4:08pm
post #30 of 46

I use both depending on color I have but the Hobby Lobby near me now sells Americolor. I like the ability to drop instead of using toothpicks but use both.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%