Suckered Because I'm Too Nice -- Again!

Decorating By Sammy-2002 Updated 23 Jul 2006 , 3:50pm by debsuewoo

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 4:50pm
post #31 of 44

UNbelievable! I'm dying to know if you ever got paid. This hits home for me because I recently did a wedding cake for someone who works with me. She offered a down payment and I deferred, since we work together and I don't really have a formal business. Knowing her and her impeccable character from work, I felt ok doing this. But I guess that was stupid! I won't ever do it again. Please let us know if you ever got paid.

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 2:37pm
post #32 of 44

I am getting tired of Bumping this topic.

Hey we want to know what happened.

Sammy-2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sammy-2002 Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 2:42pm
post #33 of 44

I'm sorry I haven't been able to post on this again until now!

On Thursday, the day I was supposed to be paid after she went to lunch, I went down to her office at 1:20 and she was still at lunch. I told the lady who sits next to her to let her know that I stopped by and would be waiting to take my lunch until after I saw her. Finally, at nearly 2:00 she showed up in my office with -- get this -- a check. She pretended for nearly a week that her sister had the cash, but now she's writing me a check? Sheesh!

So, lesson learned, but I'm still upset with her. I really hate it when people lie to me. The thing is, if she had told me when she ordered the cake that she wouldn't be able to pay me for a week, I probably would have done it anyway, but asked for a post-dated check. I don't do cakes as a business, just a cake or two a week as a hobby, so if she had been honest with me, I think I would have been able to accomodate her.

Anyway, thanks everyone!

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 2:51pm
post #34 of 44

Finally. LOL

Thank you for getting back to us.

At least you got your money. I hope. Lets see if the check clears. LOL

I feel it does not matter if you do it as a business or not you still have to get paid for you time, skills and money spent.

Take care,

DRose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DRose Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 10:11pm
post #35 of 44

I'm glad you were finally paid!

newcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newcakelady Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 10:19pm
post #36 of 44

I'm so glad you got paid. People who don't think the rules apply to them really steam me!! icon_mad.gif You should have told her that you tacked on an extra $10 for delivery!!!

yassy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yassy Posted 6 Jun 2006 , 5:18am
post #37 of 44

Glad to hear you finally got your money. What is it with people not wanting to pay up! icon_confused.gif

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 4:43pm
post #38 of 44

I'm with everybody else. I hope the check was good. But, if it isn't, at least you can take it to the Prosecuting Attorney for writing bad checks, or at least, it is good evidence that a payment agreement was reached in a small claims court.

Glad everything worked out. The nerve of people.

itsloops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsloops Posted 10 Jun 2006 , 8:42pm
post #39 of 44

If there is a next time, have them write the check out to "cash" because should the check bounce, it bounces back to them. icon_biggrin.gif

Gotta do what you gotta do.

shrek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shrek Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 10:02pm
post #40 of 44

trust me i know how you feel. i have a family member who always needs cakes but she never offers donations or anything. she always wants everything extravagant but doesnt want to pay for it. but its also my fault i never say no to her and right now as a matter of fact she owes me money.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 10:12pm
post #41 of 44

Did the check clear?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 2:43am
post #42 of 44

These are all really frustrating stories but very good to share and lessons learned as someone mentioned about what to do differently next time. It is hard being a freelancer anything and not wanting to write up a contract for someone you know well or know somewhat, whether it's a coworker (who you think has impeccable character /ethic) or family. The self justification is either, you know where they live/work and they wouldnt dream of doing something that loathesome because they'd see you the next day or whenever, or well you know them and think the best intentions where they are concerned and figure no formal contract is required, plus it would seem awkward.

For me (graphic designer), the outlay of work is only my time (not to belittle my time of course), not a bunch of supplies as well. If it did come to where I agreed to do something for a family or friend and we verbally discussed money but I didnt get them to sign off, I would probably just not deliver the product until they paid icon_evil.gif - as I said different than with baking a cake and not having laid out any money for supplies- I mean if it got where the dialogue got ugly, I'd resort to using that as leverage LOL (you want your website, cough up the dough, sistah!) <evil laugh>

sweetsuccess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsuccess Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 3:18pm
post #43 of 44

Your story made me so angry icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif What happened to you was really awful!! icon_evil.gificon_evil.gif The nerve of some people!!!. Staying up all night baking and decorating 4 cakes is no laughing matter. I hope it works out for you in the end--keep us posted.

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 3:50pm
post #44 of 44

Well, a check is almost as good as a contract.... call the bank and see if she has sufficient funds and then go directly to HER bank and cash it. If there are NSF go to small claims and file, only ask for triple the amount owed because she knowingly gave you a bad check. Don't trust the lady!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%