Pearl Mold Stick! Help!

Decorating By doudoun Updated 1 Jun 2006 , 3:13pm by leta

doudoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doudoun Posted 31 May 2006 , 11:14pm
post #1 of 9

Hello,

Sorry for all my question icon_sad.gif

I buy a pearl mold and i do like the instruction my my fondant stick and i can"t make pearl icon_cry.gif
I put before luster!
If you have some tip please?

Thank you

Doudoun

8 replies
fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 12:05am
post #2 of 9

I used corn starch first before I put in the fondant. If that doesn't work try Crisco. If you don't know let me know and I will try and explain. I don't put the dust in the mold. It makes them to hard to clean. I squeeze my mold pretty hard even though it says not too. Maybe your fondant is too dry.

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 12:08am
post #3 of 9

Your mold is probably new. That is usually the problem when you use it the first time. After awhile, you won't have that problem..
icon_smile.gif

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 1:17am
post #4 of 9

I always brush pearl luster dust into the mold before I put the gumpaste or fondant in. After I squeeze the mold together I open the mold and using a VERY soft brush - I gently just brush the pearls out of the mold. Works for me everytime - even with new molds.

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 4:02am
post #5 of 9

My pearl instructions say to spray with pan spray if not using luster dust. That's what I did and they were great. I used canola oil spray. Just don't open up your mold too far or it will crack inbetween the pearls and you will get excess fondant with your pearls. That's what I did. Oops,

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 12:14pm
post #6 of 9

I had better luck with gumpaste in my pearl molds.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 1:06pm
post #7 of 9

I agree with putting the luster dust in the mold. The first few times I used cornstarch, and then I used the luster dust and it seems to have worked well.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 1:14pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by leta

My pearl instructions say to spray with pan spray if not using luster dust. That's what I did and they were great. I used canola oil spray. Just don't open up your mold too far or it will crack inbetween the pearls and you will get excess fondant with your pearls. That's what I did. Oops,

This is exactly what happened last night when I tried to use mine for the first time. Extra fondant, and they stuck.. I gave up using it because it was stressing me out, and decided to pipe the dots around the bottom border. Maybe I'll try the mold again tonight, and not open it as wide!

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 1 Jun 2006 , 3:13pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsicle

I had better luck with gumpaste in my pearl molds.

That's right. I had a mixture of gumpaste and fondant, or fondant with some wilton gumtex kneaded in. Yes, my plain fondant would be way too soft. Sorry, I left that out. Thanks Crimsicle.

Also, I opened up the mold and loosened up one end and let it fall on the table, then I made another 3 or 4 the same way, Let them sit and airdry, for about 5 mins, then picked them up to put on the cake starting with the first one I did.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%