What Did I Do Wrong?

Decorating By Misdawn Updated 12 May 2005 , 3:17pm by awela

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 12 May 2005 , 1:47pm
post #1 of 6

Please help me. I tried MMF for the first time this week, but when I delivered the cake, it started "sweating" really bad! What did I do wrong and is there any way to fix this when it happens? How can I keep it from happening again? I'm new to decorating and I honestly don't have a clue! icon_redface.gificon_cry.gif
Thanks!

5 replies
awela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awela Posted 12 May 2005 , 2:06pm
post #2 of 6

If the cake was in the freezer/refrigerator the change to a warmer temperature might have caused condensation.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 12 May 2005 , 2:30pm
post #3 of 6

I thought that in Humid climates (northeast Texas) you have to keep the buttercream and MMF refrigerated...I'm kinda confused....

luceymoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luceymoose Posted 12 May 2005 , 2:41pm
post #4 of 6

I would keep the cake in an airtight container out of the fridge till delivery. The coolness of the cake probably caused the condensation.

ashianadotkom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashianadotkom Posted 12 May 2005 , 2:45pm
post #5 of 6

misdawn i agree with awela , cause that happened to my cake a couple a days ago
I was doing a pactice cake the bottom one was not in the fridge(we were not going to eat that one)
The top one was in the fridge and it sweated even though i had it out 30 min prior to putting the fondant on it.
Please someone help
How do you prevent this??

awela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awela Posted 12 May 2005 , 3:17pm
post #6 of 6

This is what I do with my cakes: Usually cakes are ordered to be delivered/picked up on a Saturday.

Monday OR Tuesday - Baking
Wednesday OR Thursday - Filling and crumb coating
Friday - Decorating (until wee-wee hours)

Saturday: Cake(s) order is ready.

Once they're finished and pictures are taken I put them in boxes and leave them at room temperature SPECIALLY if they've been decorated in different colors to prevent color bleeding disasters (I just forgot this principle and went through this horrible situation). If on the other hand they've been decorated only in white I put the boxes either in the cakes' freezer or the fridge. By the time they're displayed at the reception most condensation is gone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%