No Boxes...what Am I Going To Do???? Pls Help!!!

Decorating By shelbur10 Updated 8 May 2007 , 1:55pm by dolfin

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 7 May 2007 , 3:38pm
post #1 of 16

Okay, so I got the bright idea to donate 3 cakes to my kids' school for teacher appreciation day tomorrow. In a pinch, I can usually get cake boxes from my local bakery with no problem. BUT they were closed all weekend and today!! I have three cakes to deliver tomorrow and NOTHING to put them in!! My nearest Hobby Lobby is 30 minutes away, and I don't have time to go (have to work all day) and my local Walmart bakery won't sell me boxes.
What am I going to do??? Is there ANYTHING I can use for a cake box and still look halfway presentable???

15 replies
czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 7 May 2007 , 3:43pm
post #2 of 16

Do you have any cake carriers stashed anywhere? Maybe your neighbors or friends do?

Or regular cardobard boxes? Did you check any other restaurant in the area - maybe they would have some by chance?

Those mini-storage places and U-haul rentals usually sell plain, new cardboard boxes in lots of sizes.

If you don't have to go far and only need to cover the cakes while you transport them, maybe a tin-foil tent could work?

meggylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meggylou Posted 7 May 2007 , 3:49pm
post #3 of 16

I have used bankers boxes for my taller cakes, so maybe that would work if they are not too wide. Just put the non-skid stuff under the cake.

shelbur10 Posted 7 May 2007 , 3:53pm
post #4 of 16

They're 9X13's. I don't have any cake carriers that size, but maybe I can find some plain boxes somewhere at Walmart today.

Thanks so much for the suggestions...I was getting very desperate! One of the reasons I hate living in a tiny little town!

jouj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jouj Posted 7 May 2007 , 4:47pm
post #5 of 16

It happened to me 2 weeks ago, and I had to cover the cakes because it was raining heavily. I used big cardboard boxes from my local grocery store, and covered them with nice wrapping paper. Go to your nearest grocery store and try to get the boxes that they don't need.
Good luck.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 May 2007 , 7:01pm
post #6 of 16

worse comes to worse, loosely wrap them in saran wrap.

brooke208 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brooke208 Posted 7 May 2007 , 7:09pm
post #7 of 16

This happened to me last week. I sold my first cake.It was a 12x18 and Hobby Lobby was out of boxes that big. I went to Wal-mart and Publix and they would not sell one to me from there bakery. So then I went to a smaller grocery store (Food Lion) and there bakery just gave me one. I think the smaller grocery stores are not as strict on things like that. Or I would just find a cardboard box for it to fit in. All you really need is something to transport it b/c when you get there you can just take it out and put it on a table.

shelbur10 Posted 7 May 2007 , 7:28pm
post #8 of 16

Well, Walmart didn't have any boxes big enough, or they were WAY too big. I got some of the deep aluminum roaster pans, then at least I can cover them. A little tacky, but heck, I'm just a mom taking cakes to my kids' classrooms anyway, right? I'm a hobbyist, so I don't need to worry too much about being seen as unprofessional! As a friend told me, ask them if they'd like their free cake in an aluminum pan or if they'd rather not have their free cake... icon_wink.gif

jouj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jouj Posted 7 May 2007 , 8:33pm
post #9 of 16

If the boxes are too small, you can cut 4 boxes from the side and join them together to make a bigger box, I did this last Thusday when I had a huge 3D Pirate cake and it worked perfectly.

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 8 May 2007 , 12:56pm
post #10 of 16

In a pinch one time I used the robe sized gift box--flimsy white ones you see at Christmas. I cut cardboard to fit the bottom to strengthen it and put the cake in it--that worked. Walmart sells boxes to me. I get a box if I buy two doughnuts and put them inside. Then I pay for the doughnuts and that is it. The bakery associate is the one who started that--usually I buy them at the wholesale place or elsewhere, but in an emergency.....

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 8 May 2007 , 1:12pm
post #11 of 16

Do you have a Container Store nearby? I bought a nice box there last week and it was a little more expensive, but it was the only store I could get to that day.

shturpin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shturpin Posted 8 May 2007 , 1:16pm
post #12 of 16

I use rubbermade boxes, they are great, and come with lids. Sometimes the cake is sitting ontop of an upside down bowl , or upside down cake pan inside, so the cake board fits. Some of those rubbermades are slanted inward at the bottom, and this helps put the cake inside without bending the cake board, or the cake . Hope this helps ! icon_biggrin.gif

thems_my_kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thems_my_kids Posted 8 May 2007 , 1:17pm
post #13 of 16

I know it's too late for you now, but I have also used Rubbermaid containers flipped upside down. Or Sterlite. Works great!

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 8 May 2007 , 1:19pm
post #14 of 16

To late now but for next time:
Rubbermaid (or store brand) storage containers, turned upside down. Someone here suggested this and it works like a charm. They come in all sizes and the best part is you wash them and use them again. Of course you have to make sure you get them back.

shturpin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shturpin Posted 8 May 2007 , 1:22pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by thems_my_kids

I know it's too late for you now, but I have also used Rubbermaid containers flipped upside down. Or Sterlite. Works great!

Never thought of using the lid for the base ! You are just too smart ! I have always just set the cake inside of it, on top of a shelf liner, and just covered it with the lid. That way you still have the handles to carry it, and the lid keeps off rain. But i like your way, too !

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 8 May 2007 , 1:55pm
post #16 of 16

LOL, wish I could take credit for it but another CC'r suggested it in a helpful hints thread. I never would have thought of it either. Upside down less chance of sticking my fingers or bumping it when I take it out. I like the clear ones so I can keep an eye on the cakes while driving. Good thing you mentioned the shelf liner, keeps them from slipping.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%