Grease Traps??

Business By pieceofcake1 Updated 9 May 2007 , 11:53pm by pieceofcake1

pieceofcake1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceofcake1 Posted 7 May 2007 , 3:01pm
post #1 of 14

Does everyone here who has a licensed shop either home or otherwise have a grease trap? I don't deep fry and will be making Cupcakes. Do they exempt you from this if you don't generate alot or any oils and fats. I know rules vary from place to place just wondering about the majority.
Thanks

13 replies
deb12g Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deb12g Posted 7 May 2007 , 4:57pm
post #2 of 14

I have a grease trap. Had to have one. I'm in Louisiana. Think rules vary from place to place.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 May 2007 , 6:51pm
post #3 of 14

yeah .... it's the very popular answer of "it depends". Check with your local agencies to see.

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 7 May 2007 , 8:12pm
post #4 of 14

You just need to check in your county since it varies even in the same state.

BARBARAJEAN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BARBARAJEAN Posted 7 May 2007 , 8:21pm
post #5 of 14

I wish I had a grease trap. I can not tell you how many times I have clogged my drain from frosting residue. They are very expensive. When we build our next house (soon) I plan to have one installed. My husband really gets disgusted when he has to snake out the drain. I do not make a ton of cakes either.

pieceofcake1 Posted 7 May 2007 , 8:23pm
post #6 of 14

It varies even within our city. I know of Coffee shops that don't and home bakeries that don't have them it says all sinks need them i our little booklet however I also think it depends on the inspector. I called them today about sink sizes and found out I am ok using regular kitchen sinks. She did make me feel better by saying that they are very nice to deal with. icon_biggrin.gif

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 7 May 2007 , 9:51pm
post #7 of 14

i had to have one...and i think i'd get one if they made me or not....that grease in the icing clogged up my hand sink so bad i had to have roto rooter snake it out.....it was solid like soap in the drain.

of course the hand sink isn't attached to the grease trap.....and now my mop sink is bad too...grrr!

tonyah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonyah Posted 8 May 2007 , 2:31am
post #8 of 14

I'd get one of the under the sink ones (you can also have a 1000 gallon septic tank as a grease trap) they size them based on your sink size so it might not be over 500.00 for one.

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/greasetraps_lightweight.html

Rosie_from_MD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie_from_MD Posted 8 May 2007 , 4:48am
post #9 of 14

This is probably off the point, but my Grandmother had an outdoor grease trap at her house. It was put in when the house was built 80 yrs ago. She has never had a problem with grease getting caught in her sinks. My parents built a house about 25 years ago and when I started decoeating, it wasn't a month before I clogged up Moms!! She made me do all of my decorating at Grandma's house from then on!!!

Those things are priceless!!

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 8 May 2007 , 7:14am
post #10 of 14

mine is under the sink...it was around 500.00

deb12g Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deb12g Posted 8 May 2007 , 1:17pm
post #11 of 14

Mine is also under the sink.

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 9 May 2007 , 2:19am
post #12 of 14

You'll have to check your local requirements. Most places require the very large exterior ones for restaurants, but you can generally apply for a variance and be allowed to use the under-sink variety if they approve. Some places might just allow you to have the under-sink type without applying for a variance. A guy that had a business in a place that I looked at told me he spent $14,000 on his (exterior, under the parking lot). YIKES!

sweetchef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetchef Posted 9 May 2007 , 10:25pm
post #13 of 14

Our city health department requires a grease trap for all food businesses. Mine pipes the sink water outside then the trap is under a manhole cover outside my back door. They won't even let me share with other businesses in my shopping center. Each business has to have their own grease trap.

Check your city regulations. Here you have to get a "grease trap permit" (renewed each year) from the city. Without proof of this permit, cleaning companies are not allowed to clean out the trap. Good luck!

pieceofcake1 Posted 9 May 2007 , 11:53pm
post #14 of 14

I guess the confusing part is that we are "supposed" to have one, yet not everyome does. So I guess I'll investigate some more. Thaks for all of your replies.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%