Chocolate Transfers- Can They Melt Down Side Of Cake?

Decorating By elvis Updated 31 May 2006 , 9:01pm by candyladyhelen

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 31 May 2006 , 12:58am
post #1 of 6

Hi-- I'm staying away from chocolate transfers/designs that stand up vertically off of a cake, but has anyone ever had problems with them melting/smearing, etc. when pressed flat against the buttercream, either on sides or on top of the cake? I wasn't sure if the frosting would help it to stay put.

I'm most worried about the ride in the car I guess, even if its just 15 minutes. Its in the 90s this week.

5 replies
fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 31 May 2006 , 1:56am
post #2 of 6

Are you talking about the chocolate transfer sheets with the designs on them? Or the ones you cut out of chocolate. I used the cut out ones with a BC from WBH in 90 degrees and they held up fine outdoors. Having said that, I woudn't do it again. It was too nerve wrecking.

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 31 May 2006 , 2:10am
post #3 of 6

They stick very nicely to buttercream that is not crusting, but I do like to give them a little dimension by not having them exactly flat against the cake. You could attach them with extra icing too. I'm sure you can make it to where you're going. Put it on the fron floor of the car with the AC.
LL

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 31 May 2006 , 12:39pm
post #4 of 6

That is such a cute picture! I should have been more specific. I mean I would pipe melted chocolate bark or candy melts onto waxed paper, let set and then attach to side of cake with buttercream. Thanks!

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 31 May 2006 , 5:10pm
post #5 of 6

If the candy melts have had time to harden, then it should be fine. They don't take long to set up and they are pretty dang hard when they are done.

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 31 May 2006 , 9:01pm
post #6 of 6

I use molded chocolates all the time & they stay put. I mostly use sea shells attached to the BC on sides.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%