Help! Ugly Cake/colors!

Decorating By mhill91801 Updated 31 May 2006 , 12:07pm by doofusmongerbeep

mhill91801 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhill91801 Posted 30 May 2006 , 2:48pm
post #1 of 21

I was asked to make a cake for a county sheriff's retirement. A sheet cake with the sheriff's badge and maybe some handcuffs is what they wanted. So, last night I made the FBCT of the sheriff's badge, and will make MMF handcuffs to put on the cake. My question is this...the badge is golden brown, the cuffs will be grey. My vision of this cake is very ugly colors. If I put the brown badge, grey cuffs, frost sheet in white, brown borders, I'm envisioning a very ugle cake. Any suggestions?? I was thinking maybe icing the sides brown also just to get a little more solid framing?? I don't know, any suggestions?

20 replies
mkight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkight Posted 30 May 2006 , 2:58pm
post #2 of 21

Maybe use gold luster dust on the badge and silver luster dust on the handcuffs-that might brighten things up and give it depth....????

Sherry0565 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherry0565 Posted 30 May 2006 , 3:06pm
post #3 of 21

I like the idea of making the sides of the cake brown. That would look nice. But I don't really think it will be an ugly cake at all....I think it will look masculine, and that's what you want...right?

I like the Luster Dust idea as well. And you could always incorporate some gold dragees in the border or something.

Sherry

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 30 May 2006 , 3:06pm
post #4 of 21

I agree with mkight.

Is there another color you could add into this? Sometimes things look better when they're not on a white "background".

Good Luck!

Rodneyck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rodneyck Posted 30 May 2006 , 3:07pm
post #5 of 21

I know what you mean. Often contrasting colors can make a cake look gaudy, overly done, etc. I think the brown would work very well. You know, for fun, you could add just a bit of fondant and make it into a sheriff's shirt, like the pic I am attaching, replacing the tie with buttons and an overlapping seam.

Good luck..
LL

justducky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justducky Posted 30 May 2006 , 3:10pm
post #6 of 21

I just did one of these for a campaign kick off for Sheriff. I did marbled brown and white fondant. Then I did the gold star and circle around it in color flow icing. I did not get a picture of it and the one they took for me was not very good. If you want I can e mail you the picture just for some ideas. It got rave reviews and he has made it his "signature" for all of his fundraising events. ( I am now doing it as a "fake cake" so it can travel with him)
Good Luck!

mhill91801 Posted 30 May 2006 , 3:10pm
post #7 of 21

Thanks for the ideas. I don't have luster dust...I have shimmer dust, is that the same thing?? Nearest place for me to get this stuff is 1 1/2 hr. drive one way...no time for that. Thanks again.

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 30 May 2006 , 3:11pm
post #8 of 21

What are the uniform colors? Maybe you can use that for the border and writing. If it's two colors you could put a dot of the contrasting color between the border shells or beads, etc.

I think I would keep the sides white and use the contrasting colors to liven it up. I dont' think it's going to look bad, especially to the retiree and co. They are used to these colors and will be amazed how great the badge looks and how realistic the cuffs are!

AshleyLogan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AshleyLogan Posted 30 May 2006 , 3:12pm
post #9 of 21

I would do a navy blue cake for a police officer, it would probably go better than brown on brown.

mhill91801 Posted 30 May 2006 , 3:13pm
post #10 of 21

Justducky... I would love to see the picture. My email is [email protected]

Rodneyck...that's a great idea! I made the FBCT alreay and it would be too big to put on the shirt, but that would've been a great idea! I'll tuck it away for next time.

Thanks

mhill91801 Posted 30 May 2006 , 3:16pm
post #11 of 21

Uniforms...brown.
Squad car...brown.
I'm going to drive by the sheriff's on my way to the store and see if there is a contrasting color on their cars I could incorporate...maybe maroon?? I know, I'm a nerd! icon_rolleyes.gif

Rexy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rexy Posted 30 May 2006 , 3:30pm
post #12 of 21

The first thing that came to me was the old time black and white striped uniforms they had to wear in jail. You could put black fondant diamonds along the side or make something like the monopoly card "getting out of jail free, finally!"
Would love to see what you come up with!

4dollars Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4dollars Posted 30 May 2006 , 3:42pm
post #13 of 21

My husband is a sheriff's deputy and their colors are brown and tan. The police cars are white with a deep yellow color stripe (it's called gold, but it's not metallic) Maybe you could ice the sheet cake in light chocolate and do dark chocolate shells for the border. It wouldn't contrast as much as white.

4dollars Posted 30 May 2006 , 3:45pm
post #14 of 21

by the way, how do you make handcuffs from MMF? I would love to make my husband a cake like this. his work anniversary is coming up.

mhill91801 Posted 30 May 2006 , 3:52pm
post #15 of 21

Umm.. I really don't know how to make handcuffs out of MMF, but I'm going to give it a try. I have a few pictures I pulled off the internet, and I'm just going to try to piece them together. If they turn out OK, I'll post pictures. icon_wink.gif

doofusmongerbeep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doofusmongerbeep Posted 30 May 2006 , 4:09pm
post #16 of 21

They make chocolate candy molds for handcuffs - I have one and used it on one of my cakes (it's in my pictures). It might help, although the picture is a little dark. I would normally recommend you get one just to make your life easier, but sounds like you're short on time at the moment. Good luck and make sure to post pics!

4dollars Posted 30 May 2006 , 6:53pm
post #17 of 21

Doofusmonger,
Where did you get the handcuff mold?

mhill91801 Posted 30 May 2006 , 6:59pm
post #18 of 21

OK, just drove by the sheriff's dept...they do have a deep red stripe on the side of there car. I guess I could incorporate that color onto the cake somehow. Thanks for all your help.

doofusmongerbeep Posted 30 May 2006 , 7:48pm
post #19 of 21

4dollars -

I get almost all my stuff from the local bake shop store called "All In One Bake Shop." Their website isn't all that when it comes to ordering, so it probably won't help you, although you can try calling and asking if you're really interested.

A quick search online had me find this: http://www.cakesnthings.com/scripts/prodList.asp?idcategory=1264&curPage=5&sortField=sortorder
Not exactly the one I have, but has some handcuffs in there.

mhill91801 Posted 31 May 2006 , 4:39am
post #20 of 21

I wanted to thank all of you who helped me with this cake. The picture is in my photos. The badge is FBCT, and the cuffs I made with MMF. I then sprinkled the cuffs with silver shimmer dust. Thought they needed a little more, so I put a border around them. Thank you again!! thumbs_up.gif

doofusmongerbeep Posted 31 May 2006 , 12:07pm
post #21 of 21

It came out awesome! Great job! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%