Fbct???????????????????????help???????????????

Decorating By kellieskakes Updated 5 Jun 2006 , 10:26pm by SheilaF

kellieskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellieskakes Posted 29 May 2006 , 11:11pm
post #1 of 15

I tried my first ever fbct last week, astually i made 2 and they BOTh would not peel away from the paper!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What did I do wrong>>>>>>>>>>

14 replies
Michie21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michie21 Posted 29 May 2006 , 11:18pm
post #2 of 15

Kellie ~

I actually took a class on this so maybe I can help a bit (im certainly not an expert but having a teacher walk me step by step helped!!)

First- did you use WAX paper to make your FBCT? Our teacher advised us not to use anything but to avoid sticking.
Also she advised us not to leave it in the freezer for more then 3 days because I could start to crack and stick.

She did give us the tip that if it was sticking to the wax paper. Loosen your wax paper from your board then Flip your picture right side up (with the wax paper on the top) then lay a paper towle over the top that had been wet with warm water and wrung out. The warmth from the wet towel should loosen the picture enough so the wax paper will peel off.

I hope this helps! IM sure there are people WAY more experienced them me who can offer suggestions as well. So if my tips don't help at least this is a BUMP for you. GOOD LUCK!

kellieskakes Posted 30 May 2006 , 2:27am
post #3 of 15

Yes I did use was paper. I left it in the freezer for a couple of hours and as soon as I took it out I flipped it onto the cake and the outlining would not pull away from the wax paper.

tally Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tally Posted 31 May 2006 , 9:34pm
post #4 of 15

Hi
I have had trouble with wax paper and sticking too. Now I only use plastic wrap. It takes a little extra time to stretch it out, but you can see the image easier and it never sticks for me. Good Luck!

ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 31 May 2006 , 9:49pm
post #5 of 15

I use Wilton's Parchment paper... nothing I have ever used sticks to it! Worth the money IMO. I took a FBCT off without any problems left for 30 days in the freezer.

topaz176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
topaz176 Posted 31 May 2006 , 10:05pm
post #6 of 15

I use all Crisco BC and it never stick to the wax paper. Maybe this can help.

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 31 May 2006 , 10:34pm
post #7 of 15

I noticed that you said the outline wouldn't come off. Is that right? How thick was it?

kellieskakes Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 1:03am
post #8 of 15

The outline was not think at all I think I used a #3 tip (i think) maybe I did not leave it in the freezer long enough. How long should I leave it in the freezer. I use all crisco BC also.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 2:34am
post #9 of 15

Did you use a black outline? Last one I did I had the black and red places not want to come off the wax paper. Both were the thickness I normally do so my guess is that the icing was softer (used more color to color them) and that was probably why it stuck.

cakesbgood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbgood Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 12:48am
post #10 of 15

The last one I did wanted to stick to, the outline. I was going to post on this to find out to lol! How thick of an outline is needed, I mean, use the same consistency of icing for the outline? It should be thicker right? Mine was thicker for the outline but that is what wanted to stick. The top of my squirrels head and his ears pulled off on me during the transfer so I had to patch it up and it ended up looking like he was wearing a toupee icon_cry.gif . What do you all outline with? icon_confused.gif

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 1:11pm
post #11 of 15

Waxed paper is a lousy backing. I don't know why people recommend it. Stick with plastic wrap. You'll have to go to a little trouble to stretch it smooth and tape it down all around - but it's so much better.

cakesbgood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbgood Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 5:50pm
post #12 of 15

I'll give the plastic wrap a try next time I do one. What consistency do you use for your outline? Thin, or a medium? Should I thin it down with water, piping gel, corn syrup? I think the tutorial says to use a thicker icing for outlining but that's what always wants to stick on mine, the rest pulls off fine. Unless I'm just using TO thick of an outline. But I didn't think it was much thicker then what I fill in with.

mid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mid Posted 5 Jun 2006 , 4:38am
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsicle

Waxed paper is a lousy backing. I don't know why people recommend it. Stick with plastic wrap. You'll have to go to a little trouble to stretch it smooth and tape it down all around - but it's so much better.

Agreed....It is so much easy using plastic wrap than wax paper..

sweetooth2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetooth2 Posted 5 Jun 2006 , 8:22pm
post #14 of 15

Use pastic wrap IT WORKS!!!! I tried wax paper and it stuck even after being in freezer for hour and a half.....

Also use a half butter half Crisco recipe My first I used all Crisco and it stuck...

SheilaF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheilaF Posted 5 Jun 2006 , 10:26pm
post #15 of 15

I've actually never had it stick on wax paper, but the plastic wrap sounds like an excellent idea. Especially for seeing the details better when you are making them. One thing I do is pack the image down too. Maybe the outline is coming off because it's loose? If you pat your transfer it might pack the outline closer to the filling in frosting (if that makes sense) so everything will be more solid (less air pockets).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%