Where Do You Frost Your Cake?

Decorating By mbarbi Updated 6 May 2007 , 9:32pm by jenndga

mbarbi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbarbi Posted 6 May 2007 , 10:21am
post #1 of 12

hi...do you frost it after you've placed it on the cakeboard or still on the icing tray ? and just transfer it on the board after you've iced it...if you do..how do you transfer the cake?? thanks so much icon_smile.gif

11 replies
Joshsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshsmom Posted 6 May 2007 , 10:48am
post #2 of 12

For me I usually ice my cakes right on the board I'm using, less chance of the cake breaking or icing cracking trying to transfer it to something else.

cakesksa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesksa Posted 6 May 2007 , 10:49am
post #3 of 12

Hello!

I'm not sure what an icing tray is, but here's how I do it. I level the cake then put it on the board before crumb coating, filling, and icing. If it's the bottom decorated board (I usually cover foamcore with wrapping paper or fabric, then cellophane) I make sure to clean the board after icing and glue a ribbon aound the edges when the decorating is finished.

Julie icon_smile.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 6 May 2007 , 11:00am
post #4 of 12

I agree with decorating it on the cake board, the only time I might do it differently would be with a board that I couldn't wipe clean afterwards, such as board covered with fondant or royal icing.

mbarbi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbarbi Posted 6 May 2007 , 11:21am
post #5 of 12

thanks for the replies!! =)

momof5kiki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof5kiki Posted 6 May 2007 , 1:17pm
post #6 of 12

right on the board

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 6 May 2007 , 3:03pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovibabe

I agree with decorating it on the cake board, the only time I might do it differently would be with a board that I couldn't wipe clean afterwards, such as board covered with fondant or royal icing.

Same here, but even then, I'd ice the cake on it's own board, cut the same size or a little smaller than the cake. Whenever I cover a board with fondant, I cut a hole out of the center so I can slip the cake in on its own board.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 May 2007 , 4:28pm
post #8 of 12

I don't know what an icing tray is either. Ice it right on the board. The more steps you can remove, the less work and the lower chance of damage. Just common sense to me!

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 6 May 2007 , 4:35pm
post #9 of 12

ha ha, when i read this topic, i was thinking... umm, in the kitchen! icon_redface.gif lol

i agree, though, frosting right on the cake board helps to ensure you don't have to move it and risk having to touch up.

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 6 May 2007 , 4:40pm
post #10 of 12

[quote="jescapades"]ha ha, when i read this topic, i was thinking... umm, in the kitchen! icon_redface.gif lol

icon_biggrin.gificon_razz.gif Me to!

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 6 May 2007 , 4:43pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jescapades

ha ha, when i read this topic, i was thinking... umm, in the kitchen! icon_redface.gif lol

That was my first thought too! LOL
Good idea about icing the cake on a same size board when using a fondant covered board. I just went through that last night and was so worried about messing up the fondant board while decorating the cake. Will have to remember this for next time. That being said, I ice right on the board that will be served from.

jenndga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenndga Posted 6 May 2007 , 9:32pm
post #12 of 12

I frost all of my cakes using the upside down method on my turntable covered in wax paper. When it crusts, I flip it onto the cakeboard, then decorate. That way it is already frosted when it gets to the board so no smudgies get everywhere, but gets decorated on the board, so it doesn't get moved after that. Best of both worlds IMHO! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%