Color Flow

Decorating By momof3jotynjake Updated 12 May 2005 , 3:26pm by momof3jotynjake

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 11 May 2005 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 18

Hello! well, i started course 2 yestereday! gonna be fun fun fun!!
I was talking to my instructor about my communion cake this sat and how i can do the cross. she said to read over color flow and do a color flow. SOunds llike a great idea! but,,, the ingrediants to color flow make so much!! 1lb pow. sug. 2 tbsp color flow, 1/4 water... isnt that a lot to make a cross?
Anyone have what it would take to break it down? im not too good at doing those calculations. I always mess up!! icon_redface.gif
Since this will be my 1st time.. any helpful hints??? I have no idea what to do!
thank you!!

17 replies
momof3jotynjake Posted 11 May 2005 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 18

I see in the book that you can use royal icing in place of the color flow mix? will that be ok? Cause i wont waste anything. left over icing, i can take to class with me next week!

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 11 May 2005 , 3:34pm
post #3 of 18

You could use the royal icing but you're going to have to thin it down to to do the flood work.....why don't you make up a batch of color flow and go ahead and do your color flow stuff for your class at the same time....the instructions are in the book on what you'll be doing......I did my birds in class but too much pressue there and ended up doing different ones at home and they turned out much better. Just a thought.

Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 11 May 2005 , 3:35pm
post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3jotynjake

I see in the book that you can use royal icing in place of the color flow mix? will that be ok? Cause i wont waste anything. left over icing, i can take to class with me next week!

if you make the royal icing you will be able to put it in a container glass and leave it sit on your counter or what ever for about 6 months and use it when ever... you will have to rewhip it... But when your board you can make flowers ect later... I would tell you if your going to make this your going to want to make it no later then today so it will be funny dry for this weekend so you can pick it up off the wax paper and place it on to the cake... Carefully and easy it will break...

momof3jotynjake Posted 11 May 2005 , 3:40pm
post #5 of 18

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 11 May 2005 , 5:07pm
post #6 of 18

What's color flow? icon_redface.gif

momof3jotynjake Posted 11 May 2005 , 5:57pm
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIndymm4

You could use the royal icing but you're going to have to thin it down to to do the flood work.....why don't you make up a batch of color flow and go ahead and do your color flow stuff for your class at the same time....the instructions are in the book on what you'll be doing......I did my birds in class but too much pressue there and ended up doing different ones at home and they turned out much better. Just a thought.

Good idea cindy! if i do it today.. will it be ok for 2 weeks and where do i store it when it dries?

Also, the color flow mixutre that i make..how long will it be good for and do i put it in the fridge??

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 11 May 2005 , 8:23pm
post #8 of 18
sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 11 May 2005 , 9:13pm
post #9 of 18

Probably a silly question, but will putting a hardened colorflow or royal icing item on buttercream cause it to break down?

I know that when you are making the royal items any amount of grease at all will cause it to break down - just wondered if after it is hard it is ok?

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 11 May 2005 , 9:22pm
post #10 of 18

It will break down but not right away, after several days the royal icing flowers still look good but they will be soft enough to cut through with no problem.

I store my royal icing and color flow things in a tin after they have thoroughly dried and I'm told that they will last forever if I wanted them to. icon_eek.gif

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 11 May 2005 , 9:53pm
post #11 of 18

Thanks Mouse.

So, what are the primary uses for color flow? It seems similar to what I use (which is a modified Royal Icing) when I do cookies. It dries really hard and a little shiney.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 11 May 2005 , 10:06pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenOR

Thanks Mouse.

So, what are the primary uses for color flow? It seems similar to what I use (which is a modified Royal Icing) when I do cookies. It dries really hard and a little shiney.

Your welcome.
Color flow is can be used for decorations for cakes, like birds, picket fences, butterflies, etc. And yes, you can also use it for cookies
http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/Fall/fruitsoftheharvest.cfm this is from wiltons site for project involving cookies and color flow.

Calejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Calejo Posted 12 May 2005 , 5:10am
post #13 of 18

Color flow not only has a shiny appearance, but it gives a puffy appearance as well to my understanding.

momof3jotynjake Posted 12 May 2005 , 1:32pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calejo

Color flow not only has a shiny appearance, but it gives a puffy appearance as well to my understanding.

yes, i made the cross and it does have a puffy appearance... and its pretty shiney..

now... is there a trick to getting it off of the wax paper? seems to me like it may break..

chrisrich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrisrich Posted 12 May 2005 , 2:08pm
post #15 of 18

getting it off the wax paper?

Slow and steady is the trick. Yes, they will break easily. My instructor suggested we always make extras of anything we do in color flow for just that reason. And because the hardened color flow will keep, you could always use it on a cake later.

momof3jotynjake Posted 12 May 2005 , 2:16pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrich

getting it off the wax paper?

Slow and steady is the trick. Yes, they will break easily. My instructor suggested we always make extras of anything we do in color flow for just that reason. And because the hardened color flow will keep, you could always use it on a cake later.

oh man.. now im nervous!! arrr.. i only made 1... well if the cross dont come out.. il just have to pipe it on the cake... do you use a spatula to get it off?

luceymoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luceymoose Posted 12 May 2005 , 2:52pm
post #17 of 18

I usually slide the colorflow halfway off the edge of a table, pulling the waxed paper off at the same time. Then, flip the piece around and repeat to get the rest of the paper off. Hope this helps.

Dawn

momof3jotynjake Posted 12 May 2005 , 3:26pm
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by luceymoose

I usually slide the colorflow halfway off the edge of a table, pulling the waxed paper off at the same time. Then, flip the piece around and repeat to get the rest of the paper off. Hope this helps.

Dawn

great idea! ILL DO THAT.. gosh, i hope it done breaK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%