Luster Dust Question???

Decorating By mlynnb Updated 28 May 2006 , 11:02pm by leta

mlynnb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlynnb Posted 27 May 2006 , 11:53pm
post #1 of 9

I was just reading another post about items that are not food-safe, and in it luster dusts were listed. I'm not a professional decorator, just a hobbyist, and just used a dust for the first time to accent fondant dots on a buttercream cake. Now, I am freaking out because I didn't know--I just assumed that if they were to be used on a cake, they would be edible. Again, it was just for accents. Is there anyone out there with experience in this matter? This cake was for a friend's daughter's graduation party---should I call her and say anything? The party was this afternoon. Thanks for any info I can get.

8 replies
vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 28 May 2006 , 12:01am
post #2 of 9

Luster dusts are food safe in the US, but haven't
been approved in Canada. All the famous
decorators use it and they have no problem.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 28 May 2006 , 12:01am
post #3 of 9

Luster dust is considered non toxic, therefore it shouldn't hurt anyone that eats it. I have eaten it before and i'm still here. So personally i wouldn't bother to say anything, and if you are uncomfortable using it just don't use it anymore.

mlynnb Posted 28 May 2006 , 12:14am
post #4 of 9

Thank you for the prompt replies...I feel much better. I certainly don't want to use anything that could potentially hurt anyone. I was just making sure. Thanks again.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 28 May 2006 , 12:15am
post #5 of 9

Were they labeled as FDA approved? Those are the only dusts in the US that are considered food-safe. Some of the unregulated dusts were found to contain lead, arsenic and silver. Having said that, the risk is minimal to none if the dusts were certified non-toxic. To comply with health regulations though, you should only use the FDA approved dusts on edible decorations/parts of the cake.

mlynnb Posted 28 May 2006 , 12:22am
post #6 of 9

Lisa-I don't see an FDA approval on the container, but it does say non-toxic.

mlynnb Posted 28 May 2006 , 12:27am
post #7 of 9

Can anyone recommend a certain brand that is FDA approved? (I was using CK Products.)

kae133 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kae133 Posted 28 May 2006 , 3:14am
post #8 of 9

Sugarcraft.com has info regarding luster dusts, etc. They give the info as to why they should not be eaten. They do carry FDA approved dusts in many colors. On their site, click on "tools" under "gumpaste/fondant" on the left side of the page. On the new page, click on "dusts-FDA" approved. I just found this info last night since I was trying to find out the same info you wanted!

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 28 May 2006 , 11:02pm
post #9 of 9

I'm sure that in the quantities people would actually ingest, there would not be enough of any harmful ingredients to do any damage. Maybe if they ate a pound of sugar paste coated with luster dust per day over many months, it could have an impact...

But seriously, these are products that are not sold in sufficient enough quantities to warrant the expense that would go into testing them to have the FDA approve them.

Also for the Dragees, They are not approved as food safe, but I think it is more likely that you will chip a tooth on one and end up at the dentist, than be harmed from toxic ingredients.

I think the warnings are more of a legal protection now that we have such a litigious society.

I'm sure the impact your cake got from the dust you used far outweighs any possible harm.

icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%