Please Help Fast! Swiss Meringue Buttercream!

Decorating By mnmmommy Updated 5 May 2007 , 10:07pm by KoryAK

mnmmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mnmmommy Posted 5 May 2007 , 4:12pm
post #1 of 4

I got Elisa Strauss' book, confetti cakes and decided to make the smbc for a cake that is due today. well i have made 3 batches and it is like liquid after its done in the mixer and then i let it sit and mix again and it firms up but it's full of air!!!! i can't get it smooth! my 3rd batch is still in the liquid stage, should i just let it sit? how can i make it smooth. it looks like a 4 year old iced the cake!

3 replies
mnmmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mnmmommy Posted 5 May 2007 , 4:42pm
post #2 of 4

please anyone

mendhigurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mendhigurl Posted 5 May 2007 , 4:47pm
post #3 of 4

Take really hot water and dip your spatula in it. You don't have to wipe it down after each swipe, but make sure the spatula is HOT. This should help you get it smooth.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 5 May 2007 , 10:07pm
post #4 of 4

Mind posting the recipe so I can see how it differs from mine? If it is liquidy, then it is too warm. Letting it cool will help, which is what I'm assuming the time sitting is letting it do. Once you get a good consistency (BTW I suggest making sure the meringue is cool and butter no warmer than room temp before you add them together), paddle it on low for a long time in you KA (like 10 minutes or more). All of the air bubbles will disappear and you can acheive a glass-like finish. As the pp suggested, a hot spatula works well for final smoothing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%