What Do You Use To Stop Fillings From Absorbing

Decorating By lsawyer Updated 28 May 2006 , 12:07am by lsawyer

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 27 May 2006 , 8:59pm
post #1 of 6

What do you use to stop fillings from absorbing into the cake layers? Before I add my fillings, I'll use a stiff BC or ganache to coat the cake layer, let it set, then add the filling. Do you have other ideas? Glazes? I'm always disappointed when I cut into a cake and see that the filling is pencil-thin; I see this with bakery cakes, especially at weddings. Thanks for any info!

5 replies
reenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reenie Posted 27 May 2006 , 9:32pm
post #2 of 6

I've heard of using a simple syrup to coat the cake first and then add the filling or frosting. It's made of equal parts sugar and water.

Rodneyck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rodneyck Posted 27 May 2006 , 9:51pm
post #3 of 6

What kind of filling are you using that is absorbing into the cake? Even a pudding filling will usually not absorb. I suppose piping jel would work, let it sit after applying but I have never had this problem.

ihavasweet2th Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ihavasweet2th Posted 27 May 2006 , 10:22pm
post #4 of 6

I use piping gel on the top of the bottom layer and the bottom of the top layer (if that makes sense!) and it works great.

~luraleigh~

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 27 May 2006 , 10:41pm
post #5 of 6

Just to clarify...Simple syrup... Add equal parts water and sugar to sauce pan and boil until sugar is dissolved. Let cool, then dab onto cake with pastry brush or if using a squeeze bottle, a few light squeezes will do.

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 28 May 2006 , 12:07am
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the suggestions. I sometimes experience this with the sleeve-type fillings if the cake sets for a few days. More often, I see this on wedding cakes. Do the bakeries usually use a pencil-line thickness for their fillings?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%