Overfilling The Pan With Batter Question

Decorating By lainee Updated 31 May 2006 , 1:20am by fosterscreations

lainee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainee Posted 27 May 2006 , 12:19pm
post #1 of 16

Some of you have mentioned that you over-fill your pan with cake batter so that when it comes out of the oven you can cut off the hump and use the pan to guide you for an even cut.

My question is, by how much do you over-fill? I have tried it a couple of times and I still haven't gotten the cake to rise high enough over the pan to be able to cut it evenly.

TIA

Lainee

15 replies
bodaisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bodaisy Posted 27 May 2006 , 2:16pm
post #2 of 16

what sized pan are you using? you may not be using enough batter..

MustloveDogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustloveDogs Posted 28 May 2006 , 6:05am
post #3 of 16

I fill mine to the brim with mixture, then they rise a little beyond that if a heavy cake and I have a nice tall cake. It is a little trial and error, to figure out how much mix, sometimes if a recipe tells amounts for many sizes, then I use the next size up mix and that works well.

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 28 May 2006 , 9:28am
post #4 of 16

If you are going to overfill your cake pans be sure to collar your pans (line the sides with parchment paper at least 1/2 - 1 inch or more above the rim of the pan). Also, if you want to prevent from having the dome you could use the bake even strips. I use them all the time and they work great!
icon_biggrin.gif

Lazy_Susan

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 28 May 2006 , 12:35pm
post #5 of 16

I'm one who deliberately overfills. I've never been very scientific about it - maybe 3/4 of the way full? Maybe a little more?

I think it's doubly important when overfilling to use a heat core of some sort, too. I've never collared.

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 29 May 2006 , 10:30pm
post #6 of 16

So, then do you just wait for it to cool and then just cut it?

I'm thinking this might be the perfect way to get 2 inch layers for each level of my Rubik's cube.

Doesn't the heating core leave a big hole in teh cake? I don't get that at all.

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 29 May 2006 , 10:32pm
post #7 of 16

you could use an inverted flower nail as a core, it works wonderfully!

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 30 May 2006 , 3:28am
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenOR

Doesn't the heating core leave a big hole in teh cake? I don't get that at all.

Haha, I asked the same question on here a while back. The answer was, well, yes, it does leave a big hole in the cake. You supposedly just stick the cake that cooks inside the core back into the hole and cover the whole thing in icing.

Personally, I have used the inverted flower nails. Just prepare them the same way you prepare the cake pan and when you flip the cake over, you can easily pull it out by the round part and you are only left with a small nail hole.

SLK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SLK Posted 30 May 2006 , 3:36am
post #9 of 16

I've never heard of intentially overfilling the pan. one the occasion that I have done it quite by accident I think to myslef "dummy".

I may have to give this a try sometime. THanks for the topic.

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 30 May 2006 , 3:26pm
post #10 of 16

Bump...looking for suggestions on exactly how to level it once it's baked. Thanks!

SLK Posted 30 May 2006 , 4:11pm
post #11 of 16

Thanks for the bump karen - I've got the same question.

If you leave the cake in the pan to cool before leveling it - don't you risk it sticking in the pan? I guess my question would be, when do you do what?

doofusmongerbeep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doofusmongerbeep Posted 30 May 2006 , 4:17pm
post #12 of 16

I bake and cool my cake as normal (take it out of the pan after about 10 minutes to cool on a cooling rack) but I set aside the pan. After it's cool, I put the cake back in the pan, level it, and then go from there (but that's just me). Hope this makes sense?

SLK Posted 30 May 2006 , 4:23pm
post #13 of 16

It's clear to me. I've got a cake to bake tonight. I think i'll try this method. It's a 9 x 13 pan, with really high sides though. I'm doing the enhansed cake recipe - so hopefully there will be enough batter for it. I might make 2 mixes to be on the safe side.

Thanks again!

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 30 May 2006 , 5:20pm
post #14 of 16

I just think it is easier to use the cake leveler. You don't waste the extra ingredients (when I have extra batter I use it to bake a smaller layer and freeze it).

susierasmussen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susierasmussen Posted 31 May 2006 , 12:50am
post #15 of 16

I do overfill on purpose. I fill to about 3/4 full. I don't use a baking core.
I use DH mixes. 1 1/3 box for a 9x13 pan or if you're using Wilton 9x13 pan maybe 1 2/3 mixes. Two mixes for the 11x15 pan and three mixes for the 12x18 pan.
For round pans double layer----
6" 1 mix
8" 1 1/2 mix
10" 2 mixes
12" 3 mixes
14" 4 mixes
16" 5 mixes
I bake at 325 degrees. Let the cake sit in the pan for about 5 - 10 minutes (you'll see it settle and go down) and then I level with a long knife along the top edge of the pan. Fill in any low spot along edge if necessary and then fill over on my cake board. I then wrap in plastic wrap and let it sweat.
I might have as much as a full batch(box) of cake trimmings left at the end of a wedding cake but I have beatiful full 2 " layers of cake.

fosterscreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fosterscreations Posted 31 May 2006 , 1:20am
post #16 of 16

I dont overfill. I do however level mine right out of the oven while still in the pan using the edge of the pan as a guide and cover with a paper towel to cool.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%