Need Ideas For Combo Bday "over The Hill"?

Decorating By krispy Updated 28 May 2006 , 11:18am by Ursula40

krispy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krispy Posted 26 May 2006 , 1:30pm
post #1 of 6

I have to do a cake next week for a 40th birthday party but there is also a significant birthday of someone else who is over 50....any ideas on how to combine the 2 birthdays on one cake? Im thinking over the hill would be the general theme? I was thinking maybe some kind of "hill" cake with the older man already on the other side of the hill?? or maybe a grave yard where the older mans grave could be all green and grown in but the new one could be freshly dug?? with stones that say here lies your youth?? I dont know, please help me with ideas or pictures of cakes you have done....
PS I dont use fondant yet, just buttercream.

5 replies
Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 26 May 2006 , 2:15pm
post #2 of 6

To do a cake like that, you'd better know the people really well, especially the one , who's turning 50. If you've received an order for something like that, better recheck with the person who placed it. Some people are really good with humour, but others......

Another idea would be the one turning 40 thinking about the many years he still has to slave at his job, the one turning 50 thinking about fishing or whatever he likes

nocentstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nocentstar Posted 26 May 2006 , 2:21pm
post #3 of 6

You could also make a cake that will capture both of them without having to 'separate' them. I made one with a bct skeleton and black roses which could be used for an over the hill party. You can check it out in my pics to see what I mean. Just another idea for you! Buttercream transfers are the best!

petitesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petitesweet Posted 26 May 2006 , 2:39pm
post #4 of 6

Howdy! cowboy.gif I just made two single serving over the hill cakes for my mom & dad for his birthday. Single serving because they are "dieting". ha ha. Anyway, I made a hill out of the mini egg pan by Wilton. (mom had it lying around from yesteryear) I used the grass tip and made it green and lush on one side and then placed a white chocolate picket fence down the middle of it. The other side was brown frosting (mmm chocolate) with cocoa sprinkled on it to make it dusty with sparse clumps of grass. At the far edge of this side I put a sign that read "WAY over the hill". He's now 67 and he LOVED it! The other cake had no sign. I didn't get a picture, but I think they turned out so cute! Probably not the most original idea, but I haven't been in this very long. Baked and decorated my first freestanding cake in April. I say freestanding because all the rest have just remained in the pan I baked them in before I took my Wilton classes. Next the basketweave. AAAARRRGGGHHH! Good luck on yours! I'm sure it will be a hit! thumbs_up.gif

krispy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krispy Posted 28 May 2006 , 11:00am
post #5 of 6

I should of mentioned that they are both good friends of mine...so I know they can handle any "over the hill" homour. I( like the idea of one being iver the hill and the other being way over the hill, thats funny! thanks

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 28 May 2006 , 11:18am
post #6 of 6

Oh well, if you know them well, that's another story.
How about a race to catch "youth" or away from the grim reaper. The younger man of course being faster. Doable in BC, or small models of gumpaste, or even FBCT. Would be easier if they had distinctive features eg beard, moustache or hairdo.

Or do they have any hobbies in common? Why don't you just tell us what is special about these two guys, then it would be easier to come up with something.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%