Need To Make Little Farm Animals, Please Help!

Decorating By PennySue Updated 29 May 2006 , 9:28pm by PennySue

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 26 May 2006 , 12:32am
post #1 of 12

I need to make some little farm animals for the sides of a baby shower cake. I read the posts on the Sculpty push molds so that's out...besides I couldn't find any other than zoo animals. Please, can anyone help me with this. It's for my daughter's baby shower and I so want it to be just right. Thanks!!!

11 replies
irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 26 May 2006 , 1:18am
post #2 of 12

How about some animal shaped sugar cookies decorated, just a thought and you can glue them to the sides of the cake with a little bc icingicon_smile.gif

PennySue Posted 26 May 2006 , 1:37am
post #3 of 12

That's a good idea. If I can't find some way of making them with fondant or gumpaste I'll give it a try. I'd need to find cookie cutters that are pretty small though, only about 2 inches high.

irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 26 May 2006 , 1:45am
post #4 of 12

I did a nativity scene cake for work at Christmas last year and couldn't find cookie cutters, sooo I searched the net and found the nativity pic I needed and printed them out and cut and then just layed them down on my cookie dough and cut out with a knife, worked out pretty well. Good luckicon_smile.gif

fronklowes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fronklowes Posted 26 May 2006 , 1:48am
post #5 of 12

You could cut animals out of fondant with cookie cutters and then paint the details with food coloring or pipe them with royal.

You could make the animals out of color flow (use pictures from a children's book or coloring book for patterns) and attach them to the sides of the cake or on top using toothpicks.

You could figure pipe them with buttercream or royal. I've tried to attach the directions to this post, but it's not working for me, so I'll try to load the directions separately. You can adapt the basic concept to create many different animals. If you want to make horses or cows standing up, I would pipe the legs and bodies separately out of royal, let them dry, and then attach the pieces together.

kjb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjb Posted 26 May 2006 , 1:50am
post #6 of 12

Hi PennySue!

I'm not sure if this would help but here is a link to a clay modeling site some of these sites I've found actually break down how they make the figures(not this one)... but this one had a little duck, cow and pig maybe you could play around with the fondant until you got the basic shapes?...

http://creations.poonkie.com/figurines/farm.php

Kim

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 26 May 2006 , 2:02am
post #7 of 12

try this when all else fails

http://thepartyworks.com/product_info.php/cPath/3_7/products_id/55

or pipe them out of royal

There is a farm in the gallery that used marshmallows as a base and piped royal on that to make animals

chloesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chloesmom Posted 26 May 2006 , 2:05am
post #8 of 12

There is a step-by-step on wilton.com on how to make sheep, cows, chickens, pigs & cows out of royal icing. I've made them & they're not hard. It's out of royal icing and they come out adorable!!! Do the search under "barn" or "farm", I can't remember which cake it is.

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 26 May 2006 , 2:07am
post #9 of 12
fronklowes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fronklowes Posted 26 May 2006 , 2:18am
post #10 of 12

Go to wilton.com
Click on Decorating Techniques on the left hand side bar
Click on Basic Decorating Techniques on the top tool bar
Listed below will be directions for piping pigs, chickens and chicks, sheep sitting, sheep standing, and mice.

I can't get my attachment to post, but these directions pretty much cover the same material. Good luck.

Oh, and some of the 101 cookie cutter sets at Wal-Mart have animal cookie cutters in them if you want to go that route.

lilypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilypie Posted 26 May 2006 , 2:25am
post #11 of 12

mariak did a cake with some really cute little farm animals... I don't know if they would go on the sides, but maybe she would have some instructions. http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=mariak&cat=0&pos=3

PennySue Posted 29 May 2006 , 9:28pm
post #12 of 12

You all are fabulous! Thanks for the suggestions!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%