11 X 15 X 2 Pan Questions

Decorating By dragonwarlord1969 Updated 12 May 2005 , 9:35am by dragonwarlord1969

dragonwarlord1969 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonwarlord1969 Posted 10 May 2005 , 3:25pm
post #1 of 26

Howdy!

I am going to be using my Wilton 11 x 15 x 2 heavy duty pan. Has anyone used this pan? If so, how much batter do you use. I bought 2 boxes which I know will be too much. Also, does it need a heating core? Does a nail work as good as a heating core?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm gonna be baking tonight and decorate tomorrow and leaving on Thursday. Nothing like cutting it close.

Thanks,
Joe

25 replies
momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 10 May 2005 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonwarlord1969

Howdy!

I am going to be using my Wilton 11 x 15 x 2 heavy duty pan. Has anyone used this pan? If so, how much batter do you use. I bought 2 boxes which I know will be too much. Also, does it need a heating core? Does a nail work as good as a heating core?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm gonna be baking tonight and decorate tomorrow and leaving on Thursday. Nothing like cutting it close.

Thanks,
Joe

Im so glad you asked those questions Joe! LOL. im making the same size cake.. for a communion on sat.. and i was kinda wondering myself about the heating core .. and using the flower nail!
thanks

chrisrich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrisrich Posted 10 May 2005 , 3:38pm
post #3 of 26

I just used that pan for a birthday cake last weekend!

I used two mixes, plus some add ins. I had enough extra batter to make an 8" square cake.

I did NOT use a heating core or even a flower nail. However, I DID use a bake even strip. I baked a 325, but I forget the time amount. My cakes came out perfectly. I didn't even need to level them!

Happy baking! ~

Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 10 May 2005 , 3:39pm
post #4 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonwarlord1969

Howdy!

Thanks,
Joe

Hey Joe I have this and and I use it all of the time ..... I use three boxes to this pan and then I do what cali4dawn does and I lay a cutting board and a pan on top to make it level and its just fine... I dont use a heating core and I bake it at 325 for 50 mins sometimes it will need a few more mins but that is the basic time... Good luck..

nashsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nashsmom Posted 10 May 2005 , 3:42pm
post #5 of 26

I've used it a couple of times now and used a flower nail in the center and also used bake even strips. I use the super enhanced cake formula x 2, and had enough batter to make a character cake also. I baked at 325 and I think it took about 55 minutes for the cake. Hope this helps!

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 10 May 2005 , 3:45pm
post #6 of 26

What is the super enhanced cake formula????

Seester Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Seester Posted 10 May 2005 , 3:56pm
post #7 of 26

I love to see everyone does things differently! It gives me new ways to try things.

I just made a cake with this pan this past weekend. I didn't use quite two cake mixes. The sheet from Wilton says 11 cups but I'm afraid measuring is too messy for me so I don't. I just don't fill my pans more than 3/4 full. I did use the heating core and baked at 325 and it came out great.

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 10 May 2005 , 4:05pm
post #8 of 26

When I have used this pan I have used two DH cake mixes. It came out found, didnt have anything spill over.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 10 May 2005 , 4:17pm
post #9 of 26

I use two DH boxes and it comes out great. I have convection, so i only bake for 29 min. and I use the baking strips!

LAA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LAA Posted 10 May 2005 , 4:28pm
post #10 of 26

Sorry guys - but what is a baking strip? icon_redface.gif

Lisa

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 10 May 2005 , 4:52pm
post #11 of 26

Wilton makes them and they are called Bake Even Strips
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30D620-475A-BAC0-592117323818A1AA
You are supposed to soak them, then squeeze out excess water, then wrap them around the sides of the pan, and pinning them together.
Some people swear by them, other people hate them, and other people use them only they remember to.
I also have the 11x15 pan. I mix up two mixes, and I usually have left over depending on the batter. I then take a small shallow saucepan, fill it with water, bring the water to a boil, while getting hte water to boil I turn on my oven to get it preheated. Then after the oven is preheated and the water is boiling I place the saucepan into the oven on the bottom rack. After I pour my batter into the pan, I grease up a flower nail, and place it into the pan in the middle (flat side down). Then bake the cake in the oven @ 350 for 25 - 30 minutes. This seems to work the best for me.
m0use

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 10 May 2005 , 5:46pm
post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0use

Wilton makes them and they are called Bake Even Strips
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30D620-475A-BAC0-592117323818A1AA
You are supposed to soak them, then squeeze out excess water, then wrap them around the sides of the pan, and pinning them together.
Some people swear by them, other people hate them, and other people use them only they remember to.
I also have the 11x15 pan. I mix up two mixes, and I usually have left over depending on the batter. I then take a small shallow saucepan, fill it with water, bring the water to a boil, while getting hte water to boil I turn on my oven to get it preheated. Then after the oven is preheated and the water is boiling I place the saucepan into the oven on the bottom rack. After I pour my batter into the pan, I grease up a flower nail, and place it into the pan in the middle (flat side down). Then bake the cake in the oven @ 350 for 25 - 30 minutes. This seems to work the best for me.
m0use

So Mouse--do you leave the boiling water pan on the bottom rack while you are baking the cake? What is the purpose of this? Is it like putting an ice cube in the oven when you are baking bread?

Just curious. I have never hear of anything like this before--except, of course, when I am raising my dough for cinnamon rolls--I do that to keep a really humid environment and make the yeast happy.

I don't use baking strips but I do use a flower nail for a heating core in larger cakes. I just started doing that since I found CC. The only difference I noticed is that there is much less of a crown in the center of my larger cakes. I do not have to cut anything off at all. Other than that--I always bake at 325 until the cakes are just done.

Lisa

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 10 May 2005 , 5:49pm
post #13 of 26

Holy Cow! I have a LOT to learn!!!

m0use Posted 10 May 2005 , 6:30pm
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Quote:

So Mouse--do you leave the boiling water pan on the bottom rack while you are baking the cake? What is the purpose of this? Is it like putting an ice cube in the oven when you are baking bread?

I do this to help my cakes rise even and help keep them moist during the baking process.
Never heard of the ice cube in the oven trick before.

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 10 May 2005 , 6:36pm
post #15 of 26

[quote="m0use"]

Quote:
Quote:

Never heard of the ice cube in the oven trick before.

My great grandma always told us to do that when we bake bread. I think it's so you get a nice brown crust that isn't too hard. I don't make bread (other than in my bread maker) but my sister does and she swears by it.

Of course, it could also just be an old family tradition that is meaningless, also. LOL!

Lisa

m0use Posted 10 May 2005 , 6:43pm
post #16 of 26

If it works, then I will have to try that someday..don't have much time to bake bread lately.

dragonwarlord1969 Posted 11 May 2005 , 9:28am
post #17 of 26

Thanks for all your help! I used 2 cake mixes and baked it for 45 minutes at 325. The cake is perfect!!!! thumbs_up.gif

Joe

m0use Posted 11 May 2005 , 3:14pm
post #18 of 26

Hurray! thumbs_up.gif Glad it turned out for you!

nashsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nashsmom Posted 11 May 2005 , 4:35pm
post #19 of 26
momof3jotynjake Posted 12 May 2005 , 2:09am
post #20 of 26

hey joe!

how many cake boxes did it take?

did you do 1 or 2 layers?

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 12 May 2005 , 2:19am
post #21 of 26

I use 2 Pillsbury cake mixes with my 11 x 15 pan and I bake at 325 degrees... I also use the baking strips on mine. If the cake rounds any on the top, I take a clean dishcloth and press down on it lightly when it comes out of the oven to level.. you can only do this when the cake is hot.. don't try it when the cake is cool... I like the sound of Cali4dawn's way of leveling hers better... I'm gonna try that way icon_smile.gif

momof3jotynjake Posted 12 May 2005 , 2:29am
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntertayneme

I use 2 Pillsbury cake mixes with my 11 x 15 pan and I bake at 325 degrees... I also use the baking strips on mine. If the cake rounds any on the top, I take a clean dishcloth and press down on it lightly when it comes out of the oven to level.. you can only do this when the cake is hot.. don't try it when the cake is cool... I like the sound of Cali4dawn's way of leveling hers better... I'm gonna try that way icon_smile.gif

ok! great! thanks. this will be my 1st time. i hear alot of people dont use heating cores on their 11x15.. im gonna try it with out it also, i hope it will com eout!!!!!!!!!!!! bake at 325 for how long?
do you normally do 2 layers or 1? im doing this cake, its an order for sunday....should i do 1 or 2 layers?
LL

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 12 May 2005 , 2:43am
post #23 of 26

I usually do one layer with mine. If you wanted to do lwo layers, you could. I think I bake mine for about 50 minutes. I always check it about 40-45 minutes to see how it's progressing and then decide about how much longer I need to let it bake. That is a very pretty cake you'll be doing and I'm sure you'll do a terrific job with it!

momof3jotynjake Posted 12 May 2005 , 3:10am
post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntertayneme

I usually do one layer with mine. If you wanted to do lwo layers, you could. I think I bake mine for about 50 minutes. I always check it about 40-45 minutes to see how it's progressing and then decide about how much longer I need to let it bake. That is a very pretty cake you'll be doing and I'm sure you'll do a terrific job with it!

thank you!
do you cook at 325?
hmmmmm.. i dont know if i should do 1 or 2 layers?? lol... well see when the time comes i guess.
this is for a saturday cake. you think i should bake it tomorrow and decorate it on friday nite?

trisha1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trisha1972 Posted 12 May 2005 , 4:28am
post #25 of 26

It's my most popular size. 11 cups of batter. I use a flower nail in the middle, especially if I do two flavors in the pan for a 1/2 and 1/2.

dragonwarlord1969 Posted 12 May 2005 , 9:35am
post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3jotynjake

hey joe!

how many cake boxes did it take?

did you do 1 or 2 layers?

Hi Mom! icon_biggrin.gif

I used 2 DH mixes and it made a solid 2 inch high cake. If you want 2 layers, I would torte it.

Joe

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%