Need Some Help Before I Quit Completely!

Decorating By egarman Updated 25 May 2006 , 3:47am by egarman

egarman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egarman Posted 25 May 2006 , 12:59am
post #1 of 11

OK...I've been decorating cakes for a little more than 22 years; took a class WAY back after I was self-taught. I only took it to learn flowers- - specifically roses. That didn't happen; nor has it in the years since. So, I decided to take another class. Very determined to learn to make roses and others. Well, next week is Week 3 and I practiced last night till I just threw the icing across the table. Got up crying. I can make beautiful "cabbages." icon_cry.gif What I want to know is this: why does my icing come out of the tip (104) and it's not smooth on the top side; it's "ruffled" (for a better word)? I've had the icing so stiff I could hardly squeeze the bag and had it medium too. Took the tip and made sure the opening was OK. No changes. Sorry this is so long but I am REALLY frustrated. icon_mad.gif HELP! Thanks.
Ellen

10 replies
Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 25 May 2006 , 1:04am
post #2 of 11

Open the tip more???

Lemondrop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemondrop Posted 25 May 2006 , 1:05am
post #3 of 11

Ellen,

Please don't give up. It sounds like your icing is a bit too stiff. Also, alot of people put some piping gel into the icing to make it smooth. If you don't have any on hand, try a bit of corn syrup.

Good luck,

Denise

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 25 May 2006 , 1:05am
post #4 of 11

Sorry, Elen! I feel your pain! I can only make cabbages too! Someone posted a tip on here to add a little piping gel to your icing so you don't get raggedy edges. Maybe that will help. I haven't tried it yet/.

mrboop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrboop Posted 25 May 2006 , 1:09am
post #5 of 11

It does sound like your icing is to stiff. My roses are regged if the icing is too stiff. I just thin it out a little and try again. But give the piping gel a try. It sounds like it would work. Hang in there.

egarman Posted 25 May 2006 , 1:33am
post #6 of 11

Thanks, Everyone! I'll have to try the piping gel. Last night when I had it too stiff I added a little water, then it wasn't stiff enough. By the time I gave in the icing wouldn't even stick to the waxed paper or parchment (either, I tried both). Thanks again. Ellen

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 25 May 2006 , 1:40am
post #7 of 11

Try making the icing softer...and then, for the base, try a white Hershey kiss. It stands stiff while you make the rose around it. I don't use them regularly but I have tried it once and it does work!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 May 2006 , 3:34am
post #8 of 11

Sometimes the ruffled or cracked edge is because your icing is too dry. Try adding a tablespoon of crisco to each cup of stiff icing. Also sometimes it is because you are piping slow and turning your nail too fast.

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 25 May 2006 , 3:40am
post #9 of 11

The secret to making great "cabbages" is to just go AROUND the center with your tip.

The secret to making great "roses" is to go DOWN and UP with your tip, almost like a big, inverted U shape. (That means upside down)

3 big upside down U's on the first layer, and then 5 more (variated) on the last layer.

Hope this helps!

--Knox--

LOVEME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LOVEME Posted 25 May 2006 , 3:41am
post #10 of 11

When I took a class..way back when..I am 64..I could not make a really great rose ..I stood behind the instructor and watched..after that I had no problem at all.And she insisted that the sugar be sifted several times..3-5.I still do that to this day.Makes all the diffrence in the world and she said BEAT...BEAT...BEAT...and I still do .I know some say you get to much air..but it works for me and I have never had a problem with the frosting.

egarman Posted 25 May 2006 , 3:47am
post #11 of 11

Knox: Now that makes A LOT of sense to me. I definitely think that may be part of my problem. Texassugar: I was thinking last night that I had too much Crisco and that was the reason my base kept falling off the nail. Well, tomorrow I will make some more icing and try, try again!! I'll keep you posted. Thanks so everyone for your help. Love this website!!! icon_biggrin.gif
Ellen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%