Why Do They Turn Green???

Decorating By ttb Updated 26 May 2006 , 6:12pm by FatFace

ttb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttb Posted 24 May 2006 , 5:51pm
post #1 of 6

I had 4 carrot cakes due this past week; they were from a 6x3 round to a 14x14 with a graduation cap and tassel for the second layer. In all four cakes when I torted them, to my surprise, had some "GREEN" carrots in them. Why? does anyone know, if so please fill me in. Everyone said the cakes were delicious but wanted to know what the green stuff was. I just told them it was my secret ingredient...... Could it have something to do with chemical changes during cooking?? I have never had this happen before. (I did use pre grated carrots this time because for four cakes I would still be grating carrots.

5 replies
cakesbgood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbgood Posted 24 May 2006 , 5:57pm
post #2 of 6

I can't help you with why it turned green, but when I read that you just told them it was your "secret" ingredient !!!! OMG, I'm still LMAO Best laugh I've had all week!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif That was some quick thinking on your part lol thumbs_up.gif

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 24 May 2006 , 6:01pm
post #3 of 6

Just guessing here... but a lot of time when companies sell prepackaged precut vegetables and fruit, they put chemicals on them to prevent any color changes. It could be these chemicals that changed your carrots to green in the baking process.

fromkimskitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fromkimskitchen Posted 26 May 2006 , 3:26am
post #4 of 6

i do carrot cakes a lot...prepackaged and hand grated...whatever i have time for. sometimes they just turn green...i've often wondered why myself. maybe we should send a letter to alton brown, i'm sure he'd tell us, in more depth than we want to know (my four year old is watching the food network, can you tell??)

i'm assuming you all are foodies and watch when nothing else is on like my house does-lol

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 26 May 2006 , 3:08pm
post #5 of 6

Definitely! My boyfriend calls the Food Network my "Lifetime channel".

FatFace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatFace Posted 26 May 2006 , 6:12pm
post #6 of 6

Green carrots! That is creepy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%