Best Way To Make "water"

Decorating By Scott1004 Updated 27 Oct 2004 , 2:55am by ameena

Scott1004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scott1004 Posted 22 Oct 2004 , 2:13am
post #1 of 7

I'm preparing to make a themed birthday cake that includes water. I've seen it done in the Wilton magazines with tinted piping gel... is this the best method? How easy is it to work with piping gel? What does it taste like?
Thanks for your help! icon_smile.gif

-Scott

6 replies
GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 22 Oct 2004 , 2:44am
post #2 of 7

Tinted piping gel is the best I've seen. It doesn't really have any real taste. You could always add a hint of simple syrup to it to sweeten it a bit. It's very easy to work with.

Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 22 Oct 2004 , 3:05am
post #3 of 7

Hey Scott,

I have to agree with Cali4Dawn that the piping gel is the best but you could also use buttercream frosting to make your water... Depending on what your doing and how you want the water to look ...

libysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
libysue Posted 24 Oct 2004 , 2:15pm
post #4 of 7

i agree with them and vote piping gel all the way. i've done it with buttercream before but the gel tinted the shade of blue you want is the most realistic ... it makes really neat looking "ice" if you're ever doing a frozen pond! good luck icon_biggrin.gif

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 25 Oct 2004 , 2:13pm
post #5 of 7

Regarding the water effect..I personally like to use buttercream. Add some royal blue and mix it well, then add i little more of the blue and just bearly mix it in. That way you end up with several shades of blue. When you spread it on the cake, use short quick strokes to get the wave effect. I like to finish it off with the white/clear and blue glitter. It makes it sparkle like water. Happy Baking, Missey

Scott1004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scott1004 Posted 25 Oct 2004 , 7:25pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for all of the great suggestions! I'm going to make the cake later this week, so I'll leave a quick post of the results! thumbs_up.gif

-Scott

ameena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ameena Posted 27 Oct 2004 , 2:55am
post #7 of 7

What about blue jello? I thought I heard about someone using that method for water. Any comments?

princess.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%