What's The Difference Between Rolled Bc, Faux Fondant...

Decorating By SweetieShell Updated 10 May 2005 , 1:36pm by melodyscakes

SweetieShell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetieShell Posted 10 May 2005 , 2:40am
post #1 of 7

or poured fondant?

I'm still very new to the different terminology. I'd like to do a scupltered cake for my son's 1st bday. A duck... but NOT the wilton duck 3D cake, altough I may do that for his smash cake.

And I've seen some ideas on how to ice it, but really if I wanted to do a fondant-like finish, what type of icing is best to us?

If anyone would like to point me in the right direction of some tastey recipes, I'd be mighty greatful.

6 replies
Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 10 May 2005 , 3:00am
post #2 of 7

This should be able to answer most of your questions. Has recipes too! The only thing not covered is faux fondant which is just a way of applying/smoothing crusting buttercream so it looks like fondant.

SweetieShell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetieShell Posted 10 May 2005 , 3:03am
post #3 of 7

Thank you Lisa. That does explain the difference between the rolled/faux and sculpted fondants... and forgive me for this, but isn't there a such thing as rolled buttercream? Or is that really the crusting buttercream?

I guess I was just wondering if it's also something that you actually roll out, but that it's more of a bc base, therefore having a better taste.

Lisa Posted 10 May 2005 , 3:13am
post #4 of 7

Rolled buttercream isn't the crusting BC (faux fondant). It's buttercream that has corn syrup and about twice as much (if not more) powdered sugar so it can be rolled out like fondant (softer and I've heard it's harder to work with too).

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 10 May 2005 , 3:28am
post #5 of 7

Great links! Thank you Lisa! I have been preparing to delve into this topic as well, so this was quite the timely thread for me. icon_smile.gif

Lisa Posted 10 May 2005 , 3:56am
post #6 of 7

You're welcome!

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 10 May 2005 , 1:36pm
post #7 of 7

sweetishell, thanks for asking....i was wondering the same thing!!!!! right now i stick with buttercreme icing and its really good.....but eventually would like to try the others too. i think i'll print out the info so i can find it when i do delve into this new territory.
thanks!
melody

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%