Icing Cookies With Fondant

Baking By Chee Updated 26 May 2006 , 2:48am by Kos

Chee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chee Posted 24 May 2006 , 12:04pm
post #1 of 16

hi there icon_smile.gif

Could someone tell me how to ice cookies with fondant? Are we talking roll out fondant/sugarpaste or the superfine type fondant used for making centres? Any help would be greatly appreciated icon_smile.gif

15 replies
WendyB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyB Posted 24 May 2006 , 4:49pm
post #2 of 16

I did it with the rolled out Marshmallow Fondant (recipe on this site).

Roll the MMF out. Cut the MMF with the same cookie cutter used for the cookies. Stick the MMF to the cookie with water, or other liquid.

Kos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kos Posted 25 May 2006 , 2:20pm
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chee

hi there icon_smile.gif

Could someone tell me how to ice cookies with fondant? Are we talking roll out fondant/sugarpaste or the superfine type fondant used for making centres? Any help would be greatly appreciated icon_smile.gif

I just decorated cookies yesterday using the "powdered candy fondant" recipe. (yes, the superfine type fondant used for making centers.)The recipe I used was 10 parts fondant to one part water, plus flavoring of your choice. I love this recipe!! The taste is the best, it's easy to work with, and it hardens nice and stays shiny. The one thing I did learn was to wait longer between icing layers as the colors started to bleed. You can see in the shorts...

kos
LL

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 25 May 2006 , 2:26pm
post #4 of 16

I've used fondant to decorate cookies... I have 250 cookies for a wedding and using fondant was much quicker and easier. I just rolled out the fondant fairly thin and used the same cookie cutter I used for the cookies. I used a little royal icing to attach the fondant to the cookies and to add a little detail.

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 25 May 2006 , 4:24pm
post #5 of 16

Ditto everything Tami said. I used corn syrup to attach fondant to cookie.
LL

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 25 May 2006 , 4:31pm
post #6 of 16

Fondant to me is the best way to ice your cookies.
No mess NO fuzz... they come out looking perfect and clean edges.
I wouldn't use anything else... way to go !!! icon_biggrin.gif

twinsline7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsline7 Posted 25 May 2006 , 4:35pm
post #7 of 16

How does putting fondant...like mmf taste on cookies??

what is the superfine fondant?

nickdrewnjaysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickdrewnjaysmom Posted 25 May 2006 , 4:41pm
post #8 of 16

HI,
I thinkMMF tastes great on the cookies!!! Everyone I have given them to does too!! I am curious about the powdered candy fondant. I have never heard of it..Can you tell us more PLEASE!!
JoAnn

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 25 May 2006 , 4:42pm
post #9 of 16

i don't know about MMF, as i have never tried it. I used pettinice rolled fondant. This fondant is sweet, not paste like.
I'm hoping to try the MMF soon to see how that works.

Kos Posted 25 May 2006 , 6:44pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdrewnjaysmom

HI,
...I am curious about the powdered candy fondant. I have never heard of it..Can you tell us more PLEASE!!
JoAnn

I use the fondant icing like you would a glaze. I outline and fill in. This is where I got the recipe from...
http://members.nuvox.net/~zt.proicer/recipes/allaboutcookies.htm

...Firm Cookie Frosting: Try this, its very easy and you'll get raves!
Fondant Cookie Icing...For icing cookies (and for decorating):

10 parts Dry candy Fondant *
to
1 part water
Flavoring or this
Food Coloring

You can make it thicker by adding more dry c. fondant. Or thinner by adding more water. Color or flavor as desired. I usually just add a little almond flavoring or vanilla extract. No beating necessary. Just stir until no lumps remain. This can be as thin as color flow and still won't run off the side of the cake.

I ice the cookies with this. You should have it thin, but not so thin that it readily runs off the cookie.
For decorations, put some icing in a bag with a tip #2 for drawing lines and detail. Or you can paint icing on to decorate too, using a medium soft paint-brush.
This icing is like that used on petite fours. It will crust so you can stack your cookies. But it won't get rock hard like royal icing does. I find it easier and more fun to work with too. This icing (as opposed to royal icing) is very tasty! ...

I like this icing a lot although I have never tried the other MMF. I's too askeered! icon_lol.gif

kos

heidinamba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidinamba Posted 25 May 2006 , 6:57pm
post #11 of 16

what is "dry candy fondant"? That looks like an interesting recipe. I'd like to try it sometime. The only fondant I know about (besides the MMF you make yourself) is the kind that comes in the bucket, already made (Ateco, Satin Ice, Wilton etc).

Someone let me know where I can purchase the dry candy kind? What does it look like? what form is it in?

aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaL_77 Posted 26 May 2006 , 2:20am
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kos

I's too askeered! icon_lol.gif

kos

Youre silly!!
I just made some Kos and if I can do it you can.. I will post the first attempts at MMF on cookies later...

Edited to add pic... be gentle they are a first try icon_smile.gif
LL

Kos Posted 26 May 2006 , 2:46am
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidinamba

what is "dry candy fondant"? That looks like an interesting recipe. I'd like to try it sometime. The only fondant I know about (besides the MMF you make yourself) is the kind that comes in the bucket, already made (Ateco, Satin Ice, Wilton etc).

Someone let me know where I can purchase the dry candy kind? What does it look like? what form is it in?

The stuff I bought was from a cake supply store and it is made by CK Products out of Fort Wayne IN. It comes in 16oz bags and looks like a powder. It's called "Dry Fondant" with this company. The recipe on the bag is for an easy cream center for candy. Looking briefly online, www.sugarcraft.com carries it.

Here's what sugarcraft says-- Fondant for Candy & Icings - ready to use, so versatile! For candy fillings, add butter, Eagle Brand milk, flavors & colors for wonderful candy centers. Add water & color for cookie or petite four icing that stays soft but cookies are stackable and petite fours are smooth (MUCH better tasting than royal icing!) - Good for Reese cups and other candy fillings. Recipe included.

This is my new best friend! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

kos

Kos Posted 26 May 2006 , 2:47am
post #14 of 16
Quote:

The stuff I bought was from a cake supply store and it is made by CK Products out of Fort Wayne IN. It comes in 16oz bags and looks like a powder. It's called "Dry Fondant" with this company. The recipe on the bag is for an easy cream center for candy. Looking briefly online, www.sugarcraft.com carries it.

Here's what sugarcraft says-- Fondant for Candy & Icings - ready to use, so versatile! For candy fillings, add butter, Eagle Brand milk, flavors & colors for wonderful candy centers. Add water & color for cookie or petite four icing that stays soft but cookies are stackable and petite fours are smooth (MUCH better tasting than royal icing!) - Good for Reese cups and other candy fillings. Recipe included.

kos

Kos Posted 26 May 2006 , 2:47am
post #15 of 16
Quote:

kos

Kos Posted 26 May 2006 , 2:48am
post #16 of 16
Quote:

kos

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%