Mini Bassinet For Cake Top?

Decorating By mamafrogcakes Updated 24 May 2006 , 10:07pm by fronklowes

mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 24 May 2006 , 2:22am
post #1 of 2

I have an upcoming cake order where I would like to make a small bassinet for the top of the cake. Any suggestions on the best way to do this? I will cover it and decorate it with fondant but what should it be made out of? Any tips?
Thanks!

1 reply
fronklowes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fronklowes Posted 24 May 2006 , 10:07pm
post #2 of 2

Use an easter egg for a mold and make it out of gumpaste or fondant with decorative piping out of royal. Make it in two pieces: 1st piece will be formed over half of the egg (divide the egg visually into two lengthwise pieces). This will be the base of the bassinet. The second piece will be formed over the lengthwise half of the egg again, but this time only half of the half egg will be covered. This will be the hood of the bassinet. Cut circles or roll balls for wheels or even pipe royal wheels with decorative spokes. Attach the pieces with royal, vanilla, or water, and decorate with royal. Hope this helps. If you don't have a plastic easter egg hanging around your house, you could use a real egg for a mold, just be sure to cover it with plastic wrap first so you don't get salmonilla poisoning.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%