Cupcakes- Your Opinions- Do You Frost To The Very Very Edge?

Decorating By elvis Updated 24 May 2006 , 4:45pm by Bettycrockermommy

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 24 May 2006 , 1:18am
post #1 of 8

Hi-- This seems so silly but I really have been wondering which looks more professional... I usually frost my cupcakes all the way to the very edge-- I like this look although sometimes the frosting gets into the ridges of the paper and that's not so pretty :O)

I noticed in a cupcake book I got the other day that all of their cupcakes were just frosted in the middle, leaving a border of "naked cake" all the way around the top. What do you like? Of course this isn't a crisis but I've got two giant orders of cupcakes ahead and so this question is on my mind again!

7 replies
mjulian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjulian Posted 24 May 2006 , 1:27am
post #2 of 8

Middle for me. Other wise it they ever touch it will mess up the frosting. Plus I like to pack mine and then deliver and if you put frosting to the edge they are hard to pick up with your fingers.

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 24 May 2006 , 1:31am
post #3 of 8

It looks more professional with the "naked cake" showing...I don't really know why, but it just does....IMHO.

Middle for me, too.

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 24 May 2006 , 3:10am
post #4 of 8

Middle for me, too, for all the above reasons!

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 24 May 2006 , 12:22pm
post #5 of 8

Those are good reasons...maybe I'll become a middle froster too. icon_smile.gif

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 24 May 2006 , 12:38pm
post #6 of 8

I use a tube to apply the icing and get as close to the edge as possible. If you don't seal the cake with icing it will dry out quickly.

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 24 May 2006 , 12:40pm
post #7 of 8

p.s...I also usually decorate them in the box so I don't have to move them around and mess them up.

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 24 May 2006 , 4:45pm
post #8 of 8

When I decorate cupcakes, I use the #21 star tip and do a swirling effect almost to the edge. This is the easiest way I have found to do many cupcakes in a short amount of time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%