Need Some Support!

Decorating By Jenni27 Updated 24 May 2006 , 2:36pm by Jenni27

Jenni27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenni27 Posted 23 May 2006 , 11:50pm
post #1 of 8

I just got a call from an aquantance (sp) and she wants me to do a cake this Friday for a 25th anniversary. She wants a cake to feed about 65 people. I said my largest sheetcake serves 54 and is $50, but we could also do a centerpiece cake as well. She said she was on a budget and didn't know if she could afford that. I asked her what her budget was and she said $30. $30 for 65 people!?!?! She said she would have to talk it over with her husband and call me back. What in the world am I supposed to tell her? I have a hard time telling people "no". UUGGGHHHH!!!

7 replies
mikaza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mikaza Posted 23 May 2006 , 11:52pm
post #2 of 8

Well, if you were planning on giving her a gift--you could give the cake as your gift.

Otherwise, you just have to decide if it is worth your time to put in the effort for significantly less money than you have already decided you are worth!

good luck!

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 23 May 2006 , 11:57pm
post #3 of 8

I would say that you could either do an awesome cake for $30 and maybe get some future business from some of the guests or you could just tell her that you cannot do what she's asking for so little a price. Maybe tell her what a deal you're going to give her and ask if she will let you place a few business cards on the table as a return favor? icon_wink.gif If you do the awesome cake for $30, make sure she doesn't tell anyone what the price was, but rather direct any interested parties to you for a consultation. thumbs_up.gif

ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 23 May 2006 , 11:57pm
post #4 of 8

I know what you mean...I have had the same problem. I just very sweetly say "I'm sorry, but the price is $____. Have you checked with Cosco, Wal-mart, etc.?, perhaps they can help you meet your budget." Also, I would charge no less than $1.75 per slice since it's a friend, more if it isn't. It's a lot of work and your time is precious.

Good luck thumbs_up.gif

cakesbyallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyallison Posted 23 May 2006 , 11:59pm
post #5 of 8

I agree w/ Chris - once you get into the habit of doing this, it's hard to break. She'll most likely call you back and have you do the cake, when she finds out her only options are Costco and Walmart. Don't give your time away - people will take advantage of you - friends or not!

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 24 May 2006 , 12:00am
post #6 of 8

Tell her exactly what she would get for $30. Maybe she could redo her budget.

I like ChrisJ's idea, too.

Whatever you decide, let us know, and GOOD LUCK!

ihavasweet2th Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ihavasweet2th Posted 24 May 2006 , 12:00am
post #7 of 8

Tell her NO!!! I have always had a problem telling people no, but after the "cake weekend" I just had I decided I'm no longer going to do cakes unless I get paid what it is worth! People are always telling me my cakes are the best but they also say "how much is the cake going to be because I'm on a budget" I just had someone call earlier to confirm what I am doing for her daughter's graduation this Saturday and she asked how much are they cause I'm on a budget. I told her the price and she said ok see you Saturday. Well, I had somewhere to go and was only gone about 1/2 hour and when I came home there was a message from her that she thought she could get by with one sheet cake versus two. It happens all the time, especially on wedding cakes. I have let people take advantage of me for 19 years on these cakes and I'm done!

I don't want to discourage you but if you don't charge enough for your time you won't make anything!

I would just tell her you charge "X" amount. I wouldn't ask people what their budget is, because it most likely will not be worth it for you to do!

Good luck and stand strong!
~Luraleigh~

Jenni27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenni27 Posted 24 May 2006 , 2:36pm
post #8 of 8

She called back late last night and said she was going to Wal-mart, because they are cheaper and can do an edible image of a photo. I didn't even bring up the fact that I can do that, too. "Ok, I understand," and a sigh of relief! Thanks for all the suggestions, I will keep them in mind for the future, since this seems to be an ongoing problem, not just for me but for others as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%