Donating Cakes Fro Silent Auction.....

Decorating By confectionaryperfection Updated 28 May 2006 , 10:24pm by leta

confectionaryperfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionaryperfection Posted 23 May 2006 , 10:22pm
post #1 of 19

my sons school is doing a golf outing and silent auction. i figured that i would donate a few cakes and cookie bouquets. any ideas? i have ideas for golf cakes, need ideas for other cakes... maybe something women would like?? for golf widows? ect??

18 replies
Helendelk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Helendelk Posted 23 May 2006 , 10:32pm
post #2 of 19

lol when you said golf widow the only thing I could think of is ..rotfl @this
A wife in a golf cart running over DH golf clubs.....lol but then again you are doing this for a school wouldn't be what you need but had to share the vision...lol

confectionaryperfection Posted 23 May 2006 , 10:45pm
post #3 of 19

wanted to add that the students at this school have various disabilities. do you think since iti s a golf outing to raise money i should stick with the golf theme or can i do anything? i want to rasie the most money fro the school also what is a silent auction??? exactly

jewels97 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels97 Posted 23 May 2006 , 10:51pm
post #4 of 19

A silent auction is one where the items up for auction are placed around a room with sheets for people to write what they would like to bid for the item. They last for a given period of time (like a couple hours). At the end of that period of time. The person listed on the sheet with the highest bid wins the item.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 23 May 2006 , 10:52pm
post #5 of 19

At a silent auction, all the items are displayed on tables, and there is a sheet there with a starting bid. People put their name and bid down, and the next person comes, ups the bid, writes it down with their name, and it goes on.

I think the wife running over the clubs would be hilarious to do, and would probably bring in a decent amount for the school. I think for cakes, humor sells pretty well at most of these types of things, or something shaped unusually or verrryyyyy well decorated. I think you could go with other ideas besides just golf.

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 23 May 2006 , 11:00pm
post #6 of 19

The school mascot done in FBCT or edible image oughta go well.

How about a cartoon character that kids all like nowadays? (I haven't a CLUE what that might be.) "OH, Mom! I want that _____cake! Pleeeeez?"

When's the auction? Is it near a holiday that you could borrow a theme from?

Are you in a part of the country where some things are always popular - like country/cowboy themes in Texas? I think a 3D cowboy had would bring in some pretty good bids, and they don't look all that hard. But, if you live in Connecticut...maybe not so much. LOL!

confectionaryperfection Posted 23 May 2006 , 11:05pm
post #7 of 19

thanks for the help guys! the school doesnt have a mascot. and the bidders will be adults. it is in july. after the golf outing . i want to do something yummy that people can take home. maybe some highly decorated mini cakes? maybe a cake with the school pic or name on it?? would you pay more fro a cake that is beautifully decorated or for one with the school logo?

SheilaF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheilaF Posted 24 May 2006 , 12:02am
post #8 of 19

I google'd golf cake images and there were 10 pages of photos.

http://images.google.com/images?q=golf+cake&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&tab=wi&sourceid=tipimg

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 24 May 2006 , 12:08am
post #9 of 19

Most people would probably pay more for the school logo. Especially since it's a school fund raiser. People don't have a CLUE about good cake decorating versus bad cake decorating. Most don't anyway. They like things that are "cute" and original.

How about a 3D Ferrari or Porsche? I once knew someone who bought her husband his "dream car" for his birthday. In chocolate. icon_smile.gif

confectionaryperfection Posted 25 May 2006 , 3:20am
post #10 of 19

OK SO I AM THINKING THAT I SHOULD MAYBE DO A CAKE WITH AN EDIBLE PLACK OR SCROLL THAT SAYS (THIS IS THE MISSION STATEMEnt of the school)

For 35 years the philosophy of Westchester Exceptional Children's School is that EACH CHILD, NO MATTER HOW HANDICAPPED, IS A VALUABLE HUMAN BEING WORTHY OF EFFORT.

We believe that every child should have the opportunity to live his life with as much dignity, happiness and usefulness as is possible for that individual.

what do you think?

jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jguilbeau Posted 25 May 2006 , 3:28am
post #11 of 19

I am also doing cakes for a silent auction. I am going to do a really pretty floral cake, and some sort of childrens cake. Then I will also donate Gift Certificates for a free 9 in decorated cake, gift certificates sometimes brings repeat customers.

LOVEME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LOVEME Posted 25 May 2006 , 3:31am
post #12 of 19

I have made several of the Big Mac cake and the cookie pizza's.The Big Mac always brings in 200-250 at auctions.The pizza's get about 125.00.I will try to post the pictures.
LL

LOVEME Posted 25 May 2006 , 3:32am
post #13 of 19

cookie pizza's
LL

LOVEME Posted 25 May 2006 , 3:34am
post #14 of 19

Donated these for a cancer benfit for a friend.
LL

confectionaryperfection Posted 25 May 2006 , 3:42am
post #15 of 19

wonderful!!! where do you get the wrapper? on the big mac??

LOVEME Posted 25 May 2006 , 3:44am
post #16 of 19

FROM MCDONALD..JUST ASK AND THEY WILL GIVE THEM TO YOU..SAME FOR THE PIZZA BOX.

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 28 May 2006 , 4:09am
post #17 of 19

This spring I had donated a gift certificate for a cake serving up to 20 people. This was a silent auction for Elem School.

The woman who purchased it called me that week for a first communion cake. Also, she ordered more cake and I still made a little money on it.

Worked out Great. She was going to spend money on a cake anyway. And she got my cake ordered to her specifications.

Just a thought.

confectionaryperfection Posted 28 May 2006 , 9:40pm
post #18 of 19

what did the certificatew go for ? do you know how much?? also did you have cakes there to show people who were bidding???

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 28 May 2006 , 10:24pm
post #19 of 19

I had made up a certificate on my computer with 3 or 4 pics of my cakes and printed it out on cardstock (I would have used photo paper if I had it) I listed it as a $40 value. When she ordered the cake I asked her if she got a deal on the certificate and she said she paid close to the value of it.

I will try to attach my Publisher document that I created.

I would have included a display of gumpaste flowers on a candlestick/pedestal, but I was not able to attend and didn't know if I could get my display back or whom I could trust to transport it there, so I just did the certificate.

don't think I can add it. I can ask my husband to help me out, or PM me and I can email it to you if you have publisher.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%