Stacked Cake Construction

Decorating By momof3jotynjake Updated 9 May 2005 , 10:34pm by Calejo

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 9 May 2005 , 8:55pm
post #1 of 5

Ok!! i think im FINALLY getting it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but.. one quesiton.. int he pictures, they show little dots where the dowesl will go.. how do the little dots get there? is there something you use as your impresson???

4 replies
Calejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Calejo Posted 9 May 2005 , 9:16pm
post #2 of 5

Those marks are usually made by placing a seperator plate pushed gently onto the top of the cake just enough to make those marks.

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 9 May 2005 , 9:23pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calejo

Those marks are usually made by placing a seperator plate pushed gently onto the top of the cake just enough to make those marks.

OH!! i see... do you use the separator plates when making the stacked contruction or do you use cardboard?

Calejo Posted 9 May 2005 , 9:46pm
post #4 of 5

You will want to use cardboard for stacked construction. For a 6" cake, you'll want a 4" board.

They usually use seperator plates when showing tiered cakes as an example of what to do when using columns and whatnot.

However, you'll want to ice your teirs before you assemble them, then press a circle 2 inches smaller than the tier to be placed above it to make a circle outline (it's a nice way to be sure they're centered, too). Use a dowel rod to measure the lengths of the dowels you will need (inside the circle you marked out) by pushing it all the way through the bottom layer until it touches the cake board below. Use that dowel rod to measure out about 6 dowel rods to the same size. Push each rod into the cake as evenly spaced as possible. Be sure that they touch the base of your bottom teir. Put the circle you used to mark the cake earlier and set the next teir on top.

Calejo Posted 9 May 2005 , 10:34pm
post #5 of 5

I totally forgot to say that when you're measuring out the length you'll cut the "master dowel" (as a blueprint for the others you'll be using), you should measure it from the lowest spot of the marked circle on your cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%