Caramel Filling

Decorating By mzdancey Updated 23 Jun 2014 , 7:42pm by Dollys_Delectables

washipaper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
washipaper Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 11:13am
post #31 of 45

I tried the two carmel recipes today. I sent three smaller cakes with my husband to his work and ask for votes. One was filled with the jar carmel mixed with cream cheese and powdered sugar, one was filled with the SCM boiled for 3 hours, and the third was filled with a chocolate mousse. The two carmels tasted delicious but very different from each other and the consensus was split evenly among the office staff as to which they preferred. The only comment on the mousse cake was it wasn't "decadent" enough. So carmel won over mousse but no firm position on which carmel.

I loved them both and my diet is so shot right now that I am ready to cry. This is a very bad hobby to pick up when you are also trying to lose weight. That is why I like playing around with the fondant - I def. won't eat that.

Joan

funfilledbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funfilledbakery Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 10:30pm
post #32 of 45

Just made this with 1/4 cup of the powdered sugar and I added a 1/2 cup of coconut as well. Tastes great in my chocolate cake!

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 12:51am
post #33 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodaisy 

I've just boil up some cans of sweetned condensed milk to make my own caramel. Then fill the cake w/it once it's cooled down. The good thing is that you can make up batches way ahead of time and store them. I get rave reviews with this.

b

I do the same...I cook mine on the stove normally in a double boiler, but have done it in the crock pot with great results.  However if you do the crock pot method (google that) DO NOT OPEN it for several hours.  I opened mine right away and it blew hot caramel on my hands!  Ouch!

Once it's completely cool, I mix it with IMBC.  Although, I looooooove me some cream cheese and might have to try that other recipe!

lysstylist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lysstylist Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 11:47am
post #34 of 45

ASave

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 1:31pm
post #35 of 45

AInteresting. Never boiled it in a can before. Going to have to try that.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 1:47pm
post #36 of 45

There is a recipe for a thick and creamy caramel filling here on CC that is AMAZING.   I always make it the night before.   If you have never had home made caramel filling before...you do not know what you are missing.  I will never, ever, ever go back to anything else.  Get a big spoon and get ready!   I use it constantly for my praline fillings and my turtle fillings. 

ddaigle Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 1:49pm
post #37 of 45
cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 2:54pm
post #38 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle 

It's this one. 

http://cakecentral.com/a/thick-caramel-sauce-or-filling

Thank you! That looks great.

ddaigle Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 3:05pm
post #39 of 45

I'm getting ready to do a 4 tier wedding cake with praline filling using that caramel recipe.   I can't wait! 

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 3:30pm
post #40 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle 

I'm getting ready to do a 4 tier wedding cake with praline filling using that caramel recipe.   I can't wait! 

sounds yummy!

I was reading some of the comments to that recipe..someone said that they had trouble cutting through it..the OP said maybe it was too cold or they over cooked it..have you ever had an issue like that with it?

ddaigle Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 3:41pm
post #41 of 45

Aor maybe they boi boil it beyond the soft boil stag

ddaigle Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 3:51pm
post #42 of 45

wow!  I answered that on my phone..talk texting. Should not do that!  Anyway...I think the person who posted that problem did something wrong.   I have made that recipe hundreds of time and 100% successful everytime.   I freeze the left overs and sit out on the counter overnight to soften back up.   Even cold I would still be able to cut through it.   They must have went beyond the "soft boil" stage.  

JulieCromie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieCromie Posted 23 Jun 2014 , 3:50am
post #43 of 45

AHave you ever made a "salted caramel" filling? If so, what recipe would you use?

bakernoob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakernoob Posted 23 Jun 2014 , 3:58am
post #44 of 45

Too funny. I just made a caramel filled cake yesterday! Sometimes I make the caramel and sometimes I pick a jar up at the grocery store. It seeps into the cake a little (like jam does) and makes it so delicious. Enjoy! 

Dollys_Delectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dollys_Delectables Posted 23 Jun 2014 , 7:42pm
post #45 of 45

A

I use that recipe all the time too. Everyone raves about it! For a salted caramel, I just add an extra teaspoon of salt to this recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%