When Do You Decorate Your Cakes?

Decorating By lizzyanne1 Updated 3 May 2007 , 4:11am by Bettycrockermommy

lizzyanne1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizzyanne1 Posted 3 May 2007 , 12:23am
post #1 of 9

I am doing a cake for someone else this Saturday and I was wondering when you decorate. The day of or the day before???? Just curious what everyone suggests doing.

8 replies
kandio63 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandio63 Posted 3 May 2007 , 12:29am
post #2 of 9

The day before because you don't want to be rushed and make mistakes. That way you have plenty of time to set up and do everything correct and beautifully. You could even do the base coating two days before and refrigerate if you wanted.

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 3 May 2007 , 12:30am
post #3 of 9

For a wedding cake due on Saturday I decorate on Thursday and Friday.

For any other cake due on Saturday I decorate on Friday especially if there are dark colors on it. That way the colors have less time to bleed.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 3 May 2007 , 12:36am
post #4 of 9

Depends on the size and the occasion. For Sat. weddings I usually start on Thursday evening. This way I'm not pressed for time.

For birthdays usually the day before.

NOW, let me qualify this. If I have time I will do decorations as much as 2 weeks before and store them in a climate controlled area. Then all I have to do is ice the cake and place the decorations.

Beth in KY

lizzyanne1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizzyanne1 Posted 3 May 2007 , 12:42am
post #5 of 9

Thanks everyone! So after decorating them a day early....where and how do you store them?

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 3 May 2007 , 12:44am
post #6 of 9

for cakes on Saturday I do all icing on wednsday, color and bag. this way color set. Thursday bake, wrap in saran wrap and store in fridge, this way cake settles and stays moist. If something goes wrong in baking I have plenty of time so I am not frazzled. Friday I decorate. I am not rushed and as before if something goes wrong I have time to adjust. Saturday deliver and I am free to spend time with my family. This keeps me from getting all crazy and stressed like I used to. No more all nighters!!!

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 3 May 2007 , 12:50am
post #7 of 9

Depends on the cake. Believe it or not MOST of my client's like the ALL CRISCO icing with butter flavoring. So, I use water instead of milk and I let it crust well. Wrap in Saran and place in the box.

For those "experiments" that I do with Duff's buttercream; IMBC; and my own creations using flavored creamer I let it crust loosely wrap in Saran and put in the fridge. Then on the day of pick up. I make sure they know to pick it up in time to give about 30 min. to 1 hour to come to room temp. before serving. I don't do delivery.

Beth in KY

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 May 2007 , 12:50am
post #8 of 9

The day before....they sit on a counter.

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 3 May 2007 , 4:11am
post #9 of 9

I like to decorate the day before, it just doesn't always work out that way, lol! I put the cake in the box and put it into the cake fridge until the day of the event.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%