Bride To Be Picked Her Cake.....

Decorating By momof3jotynjake Updated 11 May 2005 , 1:18pm by m0use

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 9 May 2005 , 4:07am
post #1 of 36

Well I met with the bride today, It went pretty well. she picked her cake....
I will attach photo... instead of the little white flowers, she wants them blue, with a white dot in the middle of the flower..
I was going to charge her 200.00.. but i made her a list of all of the ingrediants i will need.. totaling a little under 100, so I will get 100 for making the cake.. do you think that is good?
What size cake pans do you think these are?
Im really nervous on making a stacked cake.. any advice will be great. I have read everything on stacked cakes.. and i still dont get it!! LOL!!
how does it go?
thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!
LL

35 replies
Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 9 May 2005 , 4:11am
post #2 of 36

I'm very excited for you! I don't think you're charging enough though. Seems like you're doing it for little more than cost. What about all the time you'll be putting into making this beautiful cake? What about delivery? Is that included. If you feel comfortable with the price you've set, go with it and enjoy the experience. I think it would be worth more though.

momof3jotynjake Posted 9 May 2005 , 4:17am
post #3 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa

I'm very excited for you! I don't think you're charging enough though. Seems like you're doing it for little more than cost. What about all the time you'll be putting into making this beautiful cake? What about delivery? Is that included. If you feel comfortable with the price you've set, go with it and enjoy the experience. I think it would be worth more though.

Hi lisa, you know, i kinda felt the same way.. but I know they are on a tight budget... and then they are friends of ours... and we are invited to the wedding.. so im not charging for delivery.... And its definately going to be a experience!! Do you think that is a nice simple cake.. something a beginner can do? Im so worried about the whole stacking. i dont understand it!LOL

Lisa Posted 9 May 2005 , 4:19am
post #4 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3jotynjake

What size cake pans do you think these are?
Im really nervous on making a stacked cake.. any advice will be great. I have read everything on stacked cakes.. and i still dont get it!! LOL!!
how does it go?
thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!

More important than the size pans is how many servings you will need. Then you can get an idea of what size to make the cakes. Earlene's chart will help with this.

http://www.earlenescakes.com/ckserchart.htm

I'm so glad she picked a stacked cake. It's one of my favorite looks. Usually so simple and elegant. Just keep the instructions with you as you construct the cake and it should work out great. Do you have any specific questions about stacking?

http://cakecentral.com/article23-Teired-Stacked-Cake-Construction.html

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 9 May 2005 , 4:20am
post #5 of 36

Good for you!! The cakes looks to be done in 2" increments...possibly 8", 10" and 12". Do you know how many people this will need to serve? Since there aren't a lot of detailed decorations, I think your price is fair

momof3jotynjake Posted 9 May 2005 , 4:24am
post #6 of 36

LIsa, thanks for the link to the stacked cakes!! that is what that is considered right?
mrs missy, they are looking to feed about 100 people...
You are right,,, there isnt a lot of detail.. so that is another reason why i thought it was ok..

YOu think i can do this?? LOL im so nervous.
Its due on the 21st, saturday. wedding starts at 2pm...
when do i make the cakes? friday nite and decorate sat. moring
or should i decorate friday nite??

buc20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buc20 Posted 9 May 2005 , 4:31am
post #7 of 36

Personally I would decorate Friday and put the finishing touches on Sat morning. That works best for me not adding more stress to the situation.

Lisa Posted 9 May 2005 , 4:34am
post #8 of 36

You can do this for sure! I think I would bake early in the week and decorate Friday. That way if you have any problems, you won't be rushed to fix them.

chrisrich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrisrich Posted 9 May 2005 , 4:36am
post #9 of 36

If the wedgins is on Saturday, I'd say plan to finish all your decorating Friday night. Then plan the rest of your base icing and baking back from that. That way, if anything goes wrong, you have time for a Plan B.

Decorating it Saturday morning for a Saturday afternoon would just be cutting it TOO close for my nerves. It always seems like I get the "unexpected surprised" (and not the good ones!) when I'm trying to do things last minute.

I think the more time you give yourself, the better off you'll be.

Lisa Posted 9 May 2005 , 4:41am
post #10 of 36

For the 100 servings, are you going to count the top tier? Will it be saved or served? If saved (most of the time), I think you'd need to make the cakes 14, 12 and 10. This is going by Earlene's chart.

momof3jotynjake Posted 9 May 2005 , 4:45am
post #11 of 36
Quote:

For the 100 servings, are you going to count the top tier? Will it be saved or served? If saved (most of the time), I think you'd need to make the cakes 14, 12 and 10. This is going by Earlene's chart.

hi lisa!! thanks for responding icon_smile.gif you will put my mind at ease tonite! LOL!!
no, the top tier will not be saved, she will be serving it

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 9 May 2005 , 4:49am
post #12 of 36

I usually go with Earlene's serving chart too! The servings are a bit more generous than other charts and I feel better about that. Definitely bake early in the week and have it completed by Friday..way too much stress otherwise.

momof3jotynjake Posted 9 May 2005 , 4:52am
post #13 of 36

thank you guys!!!!!!! icon_smile.gif!! when you say bake early in the week, do you mean like wednesday or thursday? then will i have to freeze the cake? or can i leave it out wrapped in foil??

Lisa Posted 9 May 2005 , 4:57am
post #14 of 36
Quote:

Quote:

hi lisa!! thanks for responding icon_smile.gif you will put my mind at ease tonite! LOL!!

You're welcome...thanks for letting us be a part of the fun! I'm stumped on the size now. 14, 12 and 10 will be more than you need. 12, 10 and 8 won't be enough. There is 13, 11 and 9 which will be close but who has those sizes laying around?

Lisa Posted 9 May 2005 , 5:01am
post #15 of 36
Quote:

thank you guys!!!!!!! icon_smile.gif!! when you say bake early in the week, do you mean like wednesday or thursday? then will i have to freeze the cake? or can i leave it out wrapped in foil??

You can leave the cakes out covered (plastic wrap). They'll be even better come Sat.

momof3jotynjake Posted 9 May 2005 , 5:01am
post #16 of 36
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You're welcome...thanks for letting us be a part of the fun! I'm stumped on the size now. 14, 12 and 10 will be more than you need. 12, 10 and 8 won't be enough. There is 13, 11 and 9 which will be close but who has those sizes laying around?

What about a 14, 10 and a 6

Lisa Posted 9 May 2005 , 5:04am
post #17 of 36
Quote:

What about a 14, 10 and a 6

That would be enough servings but it won't look like the cake in the pic. There will be more of a size difference between each cake. I agree with MrsMissey when she said it was probably done in 2" increments.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 9 May 2005 , 5:04am
post #18 of 36

It's a beautifully simple elegant cake. One of my favorite designs. You sure can do it! It'll be beautiful with the blue flowers on the sides. Since it's for a friend you probably charged right but you should charge more if you do one for an ordinary customer. I just made a full sheet cake for my bosses open house and I spent almost 5 hours on it not counting the baking time. I only charged her $40, but I'd charge anyone else $50 for what I did. If I'd done roses on it I would go higher I think. So much time can go into the simplist design you have to figure that into your charge. If I have to buy pans for a cake I consider that just a necessity and know I'm just adding to my collection of supplies, but if it's something very ususal that I can't see using much (which hasn't happened yet) I might add something to my charge. Three weeks isn't a lot of notice. I was asked about doing a wedding cake a couple months ago with only a little over two weeks notice. I finally called and said I couldn't do it because of a conflict with my schedule. I almost went into a panic at the thought of only that much time to plan etc. It was more than a simple blessing that I really had something else scheduled into that time slot! PTL!!

Chrystal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chrystal Posted 9 May 2005 , 5:25am
post #19 of 36

may i ask where you foun this pic at? Im donig a wedding cake next month for a customer and i would love to talk her into this one... haha... simple enough that i know i could do it with no problems!!!!

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 9 May 2005 , 6:47am
post #20 of 36

everyone gave great answers the price sounds fair for a beginner....... they are right as you progress you should charge more. I would definately complete the cake the night before as the closer you are the more easier to make mistakes due to nerves.
I love stacked cakes as they are easy to set up take no extras stuff like pillars etc......

besides your plates and dowels also only one box is needed for transporting......
good luck....

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 9 May 2005 , 12:51pm
post #21 of 36

Here's some tips that I have read from the time that I have spent on cakecentral.com
1) If it saves you stress, decorate the individual layers at home and then stack on site
2) Make sure you have extra icing and tools with you when you go to set up the cake, just in case
3) Put a dowel rod through the center of all the cakes to avoid any layers from shifting
4) To avoid the fingers in the icing look from stacking: measure and cut your dowels, insert them into the layer that you will be stacking on, then pull the back up so that they stick out an inch or two, then as you are placing the next layer on, slowly place the cake on top and let gravity do the work when it nears the next layer
5) Relax, take a deep breath, count to 10, step away for a couple of seconds and then go at it again if something is frustrating you
6) DON'T FORGET THE CAMERA!!
Glad to hear that you got this job...the design that the bride picked out will look just beautiful when you are done...don't forget to take pictures and post them here for us to see... HAVE FUN!!
m0use

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 9 May 2005 , 1:06pm
post #22 of 36

You are going to do a great job on this. I wanted to add one more suggestion to MrsMissey's list, if you have a Gramma or a close friend available to watch the baby for you on Friday, while you'll be doing the decorating, that would save you a lot of stress too!

momof3jotynjake Posted 9 May 2005 , 1:09pm
post #23 of 36

oh wow!! I really want to thank you all for all of your support. You are all so awesome! thank you!!!!
I have class tomorrow for wilton.. .im gonna ask the teacher if she can maybe take me out to the floor and tell me all about stacking! LOL! I dont know why. but i just dont GET IT!!! DUHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Its probably the simplest thing. Are the dowels just something that go into the cake to support it from not shifting? and does the next layer sit on the dowels?
Thanks for the tips mouse! Im printing out this whole post!! icon_lol.gif
THANK YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thumbs_up.gif
AND boy oh boy! beleive me i will post pictures!! on the flowers on the cake.. is there a tip to that? or to me they just look like a center dot with 5 little dots around it...

~Ute thumbs_up.gif

momof3jotynjake Posted 9 May 2005 , 1:27pm
post #24 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrystal

may i ask where you foun this pic at? Im donig a wedding cake next month for a customer and i would love to talk her into this one... haha... simple enough that i know i could do it with no problems!!!!

Hi Chrystal! we saw this cake here in the cake gallery! Its pretty isnt it! LOL! i know! i hoped she would pick out somethign simple! LOL!
here is the link
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&pos=-3181

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 9 May 2005 , 1:33pm
post #25 of 36
Quote:
Quote:

Are the dowels just something that go into the cake to support it from not shifting?

Yes, they are.

Quote:
Quote:

and does the next layer sit on the dowels?

Yes, sort of. They kinda rest on the dowels and the cake at the same time. When you cut your dowels they should be level with the top of the cake.

Lisa Posted 9 May 2005 , 1:35pm
post #26 of 36
Quote:

on the flowers on the cake.. is there a tip to that? or to me they just look like a center dot with 5 little dots around it...

~Ute thumbs_up.gif

That's what they look like to me too.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 9 May 2005 , 1:57pm
post #27 of 36

What a beautiful cake to start out with momof3jotynjake. Definitely bake it ahead of time. It will be less stressful. I never, ever wait to the day before the wedding to do my cakes ... I'll have them all baked 2 or 3 days before the wedding. I usually crumb coat them to seal the off and keep them cool. The day before the wedding, I final coat them, decorate and get all my items together that I'll need to take with me (icing, tips, decorating bags, dowel sticks/rods, cake plates, etc). I know you'll do a great job on the cake and as always, if you have any questions, come here... there are so many people here that can give advice and can help answer any questions you may have... Best of luck to you!!!

momof3jotynjake Posted 9 May 2005 , 2:04pm
post #28 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntertayneme

What a beautiful cake to start out with momof3jotynjake. Definitely bake it ahead of time. It will be less stressful. I never, ever wait to the day before the wedding to do my cakes ... I'll have them all baked 2 or 3 days before the wedding. I usually crumb coat them to seal the off and keep them cool. The day before the wedding, I final coat them, decorate and get all my items together that I'll need to take with me (icing, tips, decorating bags, dowel sticks/rods, cake plates, etc). I know you'll do a great job on the cake and as always, if you have any questions, come here... there are so many people here that can give advice and can help answer any questions you may have... Best of luck to you!!!

Thank you ntertayneme!! What crumb coat do you use? is that the simple syrup? do I put that on once it has cooled off? then wrap in saran wrap?
Cant i put together the Stacked cake.. at home and transport it that way?
Im soo stressed about the stacking... I look at pictures and all, but i dont understand. the dowels go in the bottom.. then the next cake.. that has a plate under it right? and does that set on the dowel? well im sure ill get it! LOL!! thank you for everyones support icon_smile.gif

chrisrich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrisrich Posted 10 May 2005 , 4:43am
post #29 of 36

You COULD stack all three tiers and transport it that way, but I'd be VERY leary. One never really knows when one will have to slam on the brakes! icon_surprised.gif

When I have a cake due on Saturday, I bake all the cakes on Wednesday night. Then I leave them out to cool completely overnight. I leave them on the cooling racks and only cover them with loosley with a clean dish towel.
Then on Thursday night, I put on the base layer of icing. A "crumb coat" as I've always used it is the regualr icing (buttercream) that you put on thinly and it doesn't matter if it gets crumbs in it. Hence, the name. Then, after the crumb coat crusts, you can add a clean, thicker, crumb-free coat of buttercream that everyone will oohhh and ahhh over. I take my time on the base icing, let it crust for a while and then go back and try to smooth it. When I get to the point where I feel like I'm not making any more progress, then I'm done. For that night.

On Friday, if you feel you MUST, you can use a Viva paper towel or a piece of parchment paper and work on smoothing your base coat AGAIN. But this step is probably only necessary if you're as obsessive-compulsive as I am! Once you've come to terms with your base icing, then it's time to decorate the layers.

If I were making a three tier cake, I'd follow the suggestions of some of the others on this site: decorate the layers at home, then set it all up at the reception site. I've even gone so far as to insert my dowels in the tiers (leaving an inch or so sticking up to avoid finger marks) before leaving my kitchen JUST to make sure that those didn't get left at home! icon_smile.gif

Take your time getting to the receptoin and take extra icing and tools to fix anything that happens in route or while you're assembling the cake.

Give yourself plenty of time and remember to beathe. It'll all come out fine, as long as you remember breathe. icon_wink.gif

AngelWendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelWendy Posted 10 May 2005 , 11:34am
post #30 of 36

Just want to remind you to get cake boards - cardboards, that will fit for each tier.. The cake board is what rests on the dowels and keeps the cake from just falling through from the weight. Get a board exactly the same size as the tier or even 1" larger if you're going to do a border prior to stacking. Also, make sure you get a cake board of something very strong - like wood, to go under the whole thing, because it gets very heavy.

If you're going to use fondant on top of the buttercream you can make that ahead of time like this week. I'm going to do that for my wedding cake, also for May 21. You can make the roses out of fondant or royal at this point, too. Or even the buttercream ones and keep those in the freezer.

I'm pretty sure that the pictured cake is a 14", 12", 10". Recommend you measure how many cups each one takes to fill up 1/2-2/3 so you can get enough cake mixes to fill them all.. and double that if you're doing two layers on each as it looks like that one is.

Best of luck!
~AngelWendy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%