Mud Cake- How Do I Tell If It Is Cooked?

Decorating By melissaanne Updated 22 May 2006 , 11:19pm by melissaanne

melissaanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissaanne Posted 21 May 2006 , 11:24pm
post #1 of 5

Something that always stresses me is when to take my mud cake out of the oven. Is there a good way to determine when it is done that works every time? Sorry this is such a silly question!

4 replies
fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 22 May 2006 , 1:19am
post #2 of 5

I haven't made this in a while. Recall it having cocoa powder in it ; is that right? Cakes with a lot of choc. whether, chopt of the cocoa poder in them can be very frustrating because often times when you test to see if they are done in the expected time they still don't seem done. There are a couple of cakes that I make that seem like a thick moist cakey-fudge no matter how long I bake them. I have experimented with this a lot because most everything I bake has choc. in it. You just have to have the confidence that they are done and if you are still uncomfortable then let them go a little while longer. They can get a burnt crust taste if you are not careful. A toothpick is not the best way to test anything. A wooden scewer is better. The smaller your pan size the longer it takes to bake. A 6" will take longer than an 8" and so on. I keep a running diary on everything I bake with the pan size, times and results etc.

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 22 May 2006 , 1:32am
post #3 of 5

Go to www.baking911.com and in her search engine go to testing chocolate cake for doneness. You will find more help there too.

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 22 May 2006 , 12:56pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissaanne

Something that always stresses me is when to take my mud cake out of the oven. Is there a good way to determine when it is done that works every time? Sorry this is such a silly question!

Melissa
I always use a skewer that i insert into the center of my mudcakes (or any other cake), if it comes out completely clean, then it's done, if any crumbs or anything come out on the skewer then i leave it a little longer until it comes out *completely* clean. If it's only a few crumbs that are coming out, then i keep cooking it further in 10 minute increments, because that means it's close to being done, if what comes out is wet, or fudgey, then it usually means 30mins to one hour more baking. Mud cakes take a long time to bake : )
I hope this helps you some
Nati

melissaanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissaanne Posted 22 May 2006 , 11:19pm
post #5 of 5

Thank everyone! I wasn't sure if you were to leave it to the same point as other cakes or not. Thanks for making it clearer. Your instructions are great Boonenati!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%