New To The World Of Cake Decorating!!!

Decorating By Jessica21 Updated 2 May 2007 , 3:22pm by Jessica21

Jessica21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessica21 Posted 2 May 2007 , 2:59pm
post #1 of 7

Hey everyone...I'm so happy I stumbled across this wonderful web-site. I'm an avid baker so my next adventure is cake decorating. I'm going through some pictures and I guess for starters I want to try and make a small two tiered topsy turvy (cakecentral talk=mad hatter cake : ) ) Any ideas on how to start this? Also, is it necessary to use angel food cake for the cake or will a plain white cake mix do? I appreciate any suggestions!!!

6 replies
NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 2 May 2007 , 3:06pm
post #2 of 7

Welcome to CC and the fun of cake decorating!! Definately take the time to read as much as you can on here, there is so much to learn on this website=) When I first joined I actually went to the last page and worked my way back, it is unreal all the stuff that there is to learn and the neat tricks these awesome CC members share with us! Here is a link to a tutorial on that type of cake....

http://www.cakecentral.com/article1-Instructions-For-Building-A-Whimsical-Tilted-Cake.html

A bunch of awesome tutorials on CC....

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-guides.html

GL and make sure to post some pics when you are done! Jen

loncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loncake Posted 2 May 2007 , 3:07pm
post #3 of 7

Welcome, I'm new too, I am sooooo happy I found this website, if not I'd be lost. Everyone on here knows anything you could/would ever want to know! I don't think it matters what kind of cake you use for a topsy turvy cake, just make sure you support it well, or you will have a mess on your hands. Hope that helps.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 2 May 2007 , 3:08pm
post #4 of 7

Welcome! Angel food will probably not be able to withstand the weight of fondant, or even buttercream, so I would go with a more dense cake-cake mix is fine.

FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 2 May 2007 , 3:10pm
post #5 of 7

Welcome to this wacky, wonderful, suger coated world! Be preparted to be adicted!

I agree - use a more dense mix - see the recipe section for docter cake mix! It works great!

enjoy!! icon_smile.gif

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 2 May 2007 , 3:13pm
post #6 of 7

Welcome to both of you

Things that I was happy to learn about the site

Have an avatar so members will know it's you at a glance

Be sure to set up your forum information so you can recieve comments on your cakes

When you post a thread you will have to go back and click "watch this topic for replies".

You can get help here:

http://www.cakecentral.com/help.php?category_id=6

Jessica21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessica21 Posted 2 May 2007 , 3:22pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you everyone for your warm welcomes and great advice. I keep wanting to get up to start the cake but I keep looking at everyone elses wonderful pictures!!! Ahh!!! I'll post picture of my "Beautiful Disaster"!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%