Wrapping Fondant Around Balls

Decorating By jaime455 Updated 2 May 2007 , 12:05pm by mullett

jaime455 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaime455 Posted 2 May 2007 , 2:16am
post #1 of 7

Hi I am wondering if you guys can help me I need to wrap fondant around the wilton balls but I can not get a smooth finsh I was just wondering if anyone has done these before I am making the sport cake in the wilton 2007 yearbook please help!!!!
LL

6 replies
angeldream1179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angeldream1179 Posted 2 May 2007 , 10:31am
post #2 of 7

I read if you put the ball cake on top of a glass or something pretty narrow that you can drape the fondant on and get a smoother finish, except of course on the part of the cake that is sitting on the glass. Probably won't see that part anyway once on cake or cake board.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 2 May 2007 , 10:48am
post #3 of 7

You have no idea how much your post made my hubby chuckle this morning... icon_redface.gif

I agree with above-the fondant won't be smooth on the bottom, but it's okay because you won't see it anyway.

Fancymcnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fancymcnancy Posted 2 May 2007 , 10:59am
post #4 of 7

LOL Made me chuckle too icon_lol.gif

staceyd1984 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyd1984 Posted 2 May 2007 , 11:41am
post #5 of 7

for a second i was thinking why would you chuckle at that and then the penny dropped icon_biggrin.gif

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 2 May 2007 , 12:00pm
post #6 of 7

I don't know how it would work on those globes, but I have used fondant to wrap other things and I flattened out a piece, wrapped it around and then rolled the whole thing in my hands. The fondant took the shape of the object and no seams. I did have to trim a little at the bottom, but was able to smooth it.

mullett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mullett Posted 2 May 2007 , 12:05pm
post #7 of 7

I cheated..... i went to thr dollar store and found some small size rubber balls. i cut them in half and cut out where necessary and put them around the wilton balls. it worked well. i wish i could post it for you to see, but i'm a idiot on the computer. i haven't had time to get the picture thing down yet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%