Urgent!! Gsa Online Order Put All My Info Online!

Decorating By PennySue Updated 8 May 2007 , 5:42pm by STLdecoratingfool

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 1 May 2007 , 11:50pm
post #1 of 20

Ok, this is scary. I just placed an order online with Global Sugar Art. Within 3 minutes, I got a phone call from a lady who also lives in So. California. She was just about to place an online order also when all of my information popped up on her computer screen!! I mean everything...name, address, credit card number (she did not tell me the number nor did she ask me for it, so I am confident she was legit) anyway there was the whole thing. She was kind enough to call me and to tell me what she had seen. She also said she would never order from them again. I'm on the phone with my bank as I type blocking the card. Tried calling GSA but they are closed for the day. I'll have to call them tomorrow. Anyway, don't know what else to say except PLEASE, be careful!!!!!

19 replies
wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 2 May 2007 , 12:03am
post #2 of 20

Thank you Penny Sue I was just looking on their sight !!!! Won't be going there!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU!

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 2 May 2007 , 12:46am
post #3 of 20

What a nightmare!!!! Thanks for the heads up.

PennySue Posted 2 May 2007 , 4:04am
post #4 of 20

Just a follow-up...this is certainly a glitch with them as I have ordered from them many times before. I think from now on, I'll do ordering by phone with all of the vendors I work with. A little more of a hassle but I won't worry as much. I'm still amazed that that sweet gal called me.

PennySue Posted 2 May 2007 , 2:48pm
post #5 of 20

I spoke to the owner of GSA this morning. He was very, very upset at the glitch and had shut down the ordering site until his webmaster can get to the root of the problem. As soon as he had heard of it, he erased my info so there could be no other transmission of my data. He is also sending my order to me w/o charge. I am impressed with the speed in which he is handling this and will continue to buy supplies from them, (just over the phone from now on...and that includes all my purchasing, any site). So...don't be afraid to do business with them! Again, I was quite impressed.
Thanks,
Penny Sue

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 May 2007 , 3:56pm
post #6 of 20

Sounds like he took it very seriously. A very good example of good customer service. Still scary.......!!! And you (or they) would have had no idea without that lady calling you.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 2 May 2007 , 4:43pm
post #7 of 20

icon_surprised.gif That is scary!
At least he took care of it right away and it sounds like he performed excellent customer service regarding the situation.
I'm amazed at how there is such a lack of customer service nowadays. I'm 27 and I see a lack of it.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 2 May 2007 , 4:53pm
post #8 of 20

Wow. It's things like this that make me want a seperate account to order online with. Maybe I'll look into that now.

ChristaPaloma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristaPaloma Posted 2 May 2007 , 5:01pm
post #9 of 20

Wow that is scary...will they be informing you of what happened? It might be helpful to share whether it was just an internal on their part or was it hackers messing around. If it was totally their fault it might make us feel a little more secure about other so called secure sights.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 2 May 2007 , 5:46pm
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Quote:

Wow. It's things like this that make me want a seperate account to order online with. Maybe I'll look into that now.

funny you mention that...we just a lunch and learn at work on Friday and the topic was identity theft. There were some folks here from the fraud department of a local credit union. This was one thing she highly recommended - having a separate account just for online orders.

Penny - I'm very glad to hear that they rectified the situation quickly and efficiently. That is definitely scary, makes you wonder if she was the only one who saw it.

PennySue Posted 2 May 2007 , 6:01pm
post #11 of 20

Again, I am so happy with how he handled the situation. It's so true, customer service has taken a nose dive so it is really wonderful to get this kind of response. I totally recommend them! Oh, there was no way for him to see who she was and I can't remember her name.

VACakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VACakelady Posted 3 May 2007 , 7:17am
post #12 of 20

I was wondering if anyone ever tried using that Paypal virtual debit card thing. It supposedly generates a new "card number" for you each time you use it so nothing can be captured and used against your will. I just happened to read the info on their site yesterday and this thread reminded me of it.

beany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beany Posted 3 May 2007 , 7:37am
post #13 of 20

I too, am very impressed with the customer service at Global Sugar Art. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Alan re-sent my book order when it didn't arrive....and when the first order eventually showed up months later, he let me keep the books, free of charge!

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 3 May 2007 , 7:39am
post #14 of 20

Scary PennySue! Thanks for the head's up... also good to know how they handled it! Hopefully you won't have any other ramifications. How's your kitchen coming along? Are you baking yet?

torki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torki Posted 3 May 2007 , 8:44am
post #15 of 20

I use Paypal for any online store that accepts this payment method. The account I use for this I set up for Paypal is a normal savings account with a debit Visa...not a credit card and I use it solely for online transactions. I can also use it like a credit card if needed. I just deposit money in it before I make a purchase!!!! icon_lol.gif

PennySue Posted 3 May 2007 , 11:00pm
post #16 of 20

So far, nothing else has come up. I think PayPal might be my next option. My son uses it all of the time for his e-bay sales and it seems to work well.

Nope, not baking yet...kitchen is getting there though. We've had a few hang-up with family coming to visit and some untimely migraines (mine) but we are pressing forward. Cabinets are stained and finished, doors are fitted and almost all are stained and finished. DH did a fabulous job building them and they are beautiful!! It is going on our 5th month now so we are very anxious to get it done. Can you imagine....no decorating for almost 5 months?!

AlanT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlanT Posted 4 May 2007 , 5:10pm
post #17 of 20

Thank you Penny for the kind words regarding our customer service. The problem was handled immediately. I still wonder if the woman that phoned you actually saw your credit card number as that number is encryped and not kept with registration data. In any event, the site is secure. We will be launching a brand new site by the end of the month with more bells and whistles. Look for "Grand Opening" specials in June-July.
A note to all GSA customers. You can always choose "Phone Ordering" when cashing out and your order will be submitted without CC details. You then would call us at 1-800-420-6088 with payment information.
Alan/GSA

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 4 May 2007 , 5:47pm
post #18 of 20

Thank you for that information Alan. Cakecentral always appreciates honest retailers, and all of our members make great referrals on this site for any place of business they have had a great customer service with.

judybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
judybee Posted 8 May 2007 , 4:46pm
post #19 of 20

Alan and GSA are the BEST company to order from! I have always been impressed with their service, and even in a bad situation they have handled it extremely well!

STLdecoratingfool Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
STLdecoratingfool Posted 8 May 2007 , 5:42pm
post #20 of 20

Thats AWESOME that they took the time to register on here to assure us that everything is A-OK! Thats CUSTOMER SERVICE! thumbs_up.gif

And yes, their are still nice people out in the world even tho the bad is quickly catching up! I had went to the bank once, left the envelope of $ & my D.L. in the tube & drove off. I had left, went to Michaels & realized I didnt have the envelope so I rushed right back to the bank which was about a 25 minute difference. I get to the bank & it was there. The person after me seen it, didnt even open it, & returned it right away! guy who the person was....a 19 guy! Boy, was I lucky! He even left his info w/them in case I had anything missing he would atest to what he found & that it wasnt him. So I called him from the bank to THANK him dearly! It was cash, $1000.00 to be exact! I was SUPER lucky. He said it was a thick envelope so I know someone relly needed it..Jokenly...lol
So Thank your lucky stars that they are still hinest, nice people in the world!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%