Make My Own Baking Strips

Decorating By tootsa Updated 19 May 2006 , 6:53pm by Rodneyck

tootsa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootsa Posted 19 May 2006 , 1:11pm
post #1 of 8

I've seen many people talk about making their own baking strips. What exactly do I do?

I have several cakes for a wedding and I don't want to have to go spend the money for all those strips if I can do it myself!!

TIA!

7 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 19 May 2006 , 1:12pm
post #2 of 8

I've hear (haven't tried personally) that if you soak a kitchen towel really well in cold water and wrap it around the cake pan it will help the cake bake more evenly and keep it from getting a hump in the center.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 19 May 2006 , 1:30pm
post #3 of 8

nononononono!!!!!

You risk catching the towel on fire.

The baking strips are expensive when buying lots of them, but they are SAFE and they can be used forever. If you don't want to use them, you'll just have to level the cake.

In the long run they will make baking life easier though.

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 19 May 2006 , 1:33pm
post #4 of 8

I have the strips and I don't even use them. I just spray and flower nail with Pam and put it (upside down) in the center of the cake and bake. If you are doing a big cake (16" square) you would use 2 nails.

tysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tysmom Posted 19 May 2006 , 1:42pm
post #5 of 8

I use paper towels, I just wet them (do not ring out completely) and use straight pins to hold them around the cake pans. I have never had a problem with them.

sweetamber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetamber Posted 19 May 2006 , 1:49pm
post #6 of 8

I guess it could pose a fire hazard....but when I was growing up my mom had a cake business out of our home and she always used homemade cake strips. It looked to me just like strips of old towels soaked and pinned in place. They were all very brown from years of use, but we never started any fires!

Amber

MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 19 May 2006 , 5:44pm
post #7 of 8

Yeah, I just use regular kitchen towels. The ones I use are like utility towels, a coarse weave, not like a bath towel. Don't know if it matters, though. I wet them and wring them out and fold them lengthwise and hold them together with a binder clip. It really seems to help, especially with my chocolate cakes which used to bake up with a high dome. Now my cakes are pretty level. I rarely have to level them. Sometimes I will take them off when it's near the end of baking time and they are dried out. Mine are kinda brown now, too!

Rodneyck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rodneyck Posted 19 May 2006 , 6:53pm
post #8 of 8

No, no, no....Any time there is cloth, whether paper towel or regular towels, exposed openly, there is a chance they may catch on fire.

To make your own, you use wet paper towels, ring out the excess water, fold up and wrap in aluminum foil strips, so the paper towels are not exposed at all. Then just pin your aluminum foil strips around the cake pan. Pin more together if you need longer strips.

thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%