Heavy Cream Isn't The Same As Heavy Whipping Cream, Right?

Decorating By Falenn Updated 23 May 2006 , 12:55am by Falenn

Falenn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Falenn Posted 18 May 2006 , 1:07am
post #1 of 20

I want to make the super enhanced cake formula and cookies and cream filling, it requires heavy cream. i've checked two grocery stores and they dont carry heavy cream only heavy whipping cream.

they arent the same, right?

19 replies
CCCTina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CCCTina Posted 18 May 2006 , 1:13am
post #2 of 20

I have always wondered if they are the same also. Though I always use heavy whipping cream when heavy cream is called for and have never had a problem.

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 18 May 2006 , 1:13am
post #3 of 20

Same thing... thumbs_up.gif

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 18 May 2006 , 1:14am
post #4 of 20

Yes, it is the same!

Falenn Posted 18 May 2006 , 1:24am
post #5 of 20

oh really?. thnx is heavy cream used for toppings then? like the whip cream some people use to ice their cakes?

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 18 May 2006 , 2:12am
post #6 of 20

I find that they are totally interchangable in recipes. I found this info:
Heavy cream, also called heavy whipping cream, has a fat content of between 36% and 40%. Light cream has between 18% and 30% butterfat (but generally on the low end of the scale), and light whipping cream has between 30% and 36% fat. If you find a carton in the store labeled whipping cream, it is bound to be light whipping cream. Many, many supermarkets carry heavy cream, but perhaps you should ask the manager at yours if it is available. We doubt that substituting whipping cream for heavy cream will seriously compromise whatever youre cooking, if you must make the substitution.

Falenn Posted 18 May 2006 , 2:37am
post #7 of 20

thnx rezzycakes

canoewoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
canoewoman Posted 18 May 2006 , 3:37pm
post #8 of 20

Heavy cream should be found in a can on the shelf in your grocery store.

FunCakesVT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FunCakesVT Posted 18 May 2006 , 3:40pm
post #9 of 20

They are both in the dairy section in my grocery store and I, too, find them interchangeable.

Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 18 May 2006 , 4:10pm
post #10 of 20

Conoewoman:

I have never seen heavy cream in a can. Is it in the refrigerated section?

thx

cj

VickiC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickiC Posted 18 May 2006 , 5:30pm
post #11 of 20

Heavy cream and whipping cream are not the same. Heavy cream has a higher fat content than whipping cream. It makes a difference if you are going to make whipped cream icing. The higher fat content makes a sturdier whipped cream. I don't think it makes a difference if you are using it in combination with other ingredients like to make a filling. HTH

canoewoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
canoewoman Posted 18 May 2006 , 10:36pm
post #12 of 20

Ladyvacrj

It was in the baking aisle. I am not sure if it is the same as heavy cream but it was called "thick cream" and I assumed it was the same. But yes, I just saw it the other day in a can on the shelf. It is a small can maybe 175 ml.

Please let me know if it would be the same as heavy cream.

Falenn Posted 19 May 2006 , 1:53am
post #13 of 20

thnx everyone, but im still confused. what is the best thing to use when making the enhanced cake formula. it just says heavy cream, as well as for the cookies and cream filling. has anyone tried using the heaving whipping cream when making enhanced cake formula?

Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 19 May 2006 , 1:27pm
post #14 of 20

Here is a thread from any site that may help, (a little)

http://www.cookingboard.com/showthread/t-19564.html

irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 19 May 2006 , 2:10pm
post #15 of 20

I think the cream in a can is evaporated milk, I also wondered about using iticon_smile.gif

Falenn Posted 19 May 2006 , 2:23pm
post #16 of 20

thnx for the link. i guess im still a bit confused if i could use the heavy whipping cream for the enhanced cake formula, or do i keep shopping around until i come across heavy cream.

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 22 May 2006 , 8:58pm
post #17 of 20

What did you end up using?

As far as I know heavy cream and heavy whipping cream are the same thing!

icon_razz.gif

Amy

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 22 May 2006 , 9:06pm
post #18 of 20

In your enhanced cake recipe either heavy or regular whipping cream will be just fine! Never seen these products canned....if they ARE canned, they're compromised in some way. Use the fresh in the refrigerated dairy case. The percentage of fat in the cream will not adversely affect your cake in any way~ you could even successfully use whole milk...but the creams just make the cake richer.

DON'T SWEAT THIS!!!!!

heiser73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heiser73 Posted 23 May 2006 , 12:07am
post #19 of 20

I watch the food network all the time and know that Heavy Cream and "Whipping" cream are the same thing. Heavy Cream is sometimes called whipping cream because you whip it to make whipped cream. So some companys call it whipping cream and others just heavy cream..but it's the same thing. My favorite ingredient in the world is heavy cream and I use it all the time...I have two different grocery stores in my area and one they call it heavy and the other they call it whipping and I use them both all the time and they are the exact same thing. It is always with the milk in a carton or jug. Hope this helps.

Falenn Posted 23 May 2006 , 12:55am
post #20 of 20

thnx everyone. cant wait to try it out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%