Wilton Ready Made Gumpaste And Scroll Roller

Decorating By bush1 Updated 23 May 2006 , 6:24pm by KHalstead

bush1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bush1 Posted 17 May 2006 , 3:01am
post #1 of 19

Hi everyone, I went to a local party/cake supply store today and saw that Wilton now has ready made gum paste for $8.99 for 1lb package. Has anyone ever tried it? I also saw that Wilton now has a large size roller with small scrolls. I believe the price was about $35.00. I was tempted to buy these things but I resisted the temptation. I'd certainly like to try the gumpaste!

18 replies
justducky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justducky Posted 17 May 2006 , 3:19am
post #2 of 19

Yikes!! If that is the blue scroll roller from Wilton, I picked it up this weekend at AC Moore for 7.99 (pre 40%) It was 9.99 at Michaels.
icon_biggrin.gif

surfergina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
surfergina Posted 17 May 2006 , 3:21am
post #3 of 19

Get Michaels 40% coupon from your Sunday paper - it's a great moneysaver!

tracy702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracy702 Posted 17 May 2006 , 4:07am
post #4 of 19

At our Michael's the gumpaste is only $6.99 and the purple scroll rollers is only $9.99, they also have the entire new silicone pans and candy molds, along with all the new icing writers and cake pans. I was so excited to see the new stuff.

tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 17 May 2006 , 4:19am
post #5 of 19

I think our paper lady is a crafter and she swipes our Michael's flier! icon_sad.gif It seems we don't get one nearly every week. (I don't want to question it because she's also my daughter's crossing guard!) Just a theory, I'm sure it's my imagination.

fronklowes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fronklowes Posted 17 May 2006 , 6:27am
post #6 of 19

I've tried the gumpaste and it's really smooth and easy to work with. I started my gumpaste flowers class last week at Michael's and they had just received their first shipment of the pre-made gumpaste so we got to play with it. Since I haven't had time to try making gumpaste from scratch yet, this is a great timesaver for me. I would highly recommend it. Be sure to use a cornstarch/powdered sugar puff on your thin and thick foams, though, if you're making flowers because it likes to stick much more than MMF. Also, don't forget that Michael's coupon!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 17 May 2006 , 5:28pm
post #7 of 19

I was able to try the ready-to-use Wilton gum paste while taking classes at Wilton with Colette Peters. Ms. Peters liked the Wilton product because it was very white (it was made with tylose, not gum-tex) and because it dried quickly. I liked it too, especially compared to the mess and fuss of making it from scratch. It's very consistent and can be rolled very thin. If it's a bit dry, knead in some crisco. Roll it on a surface prepared with cornstarch to keep it from sticking (powdered sugar can actually make it stickier). Because this dries very quickly, you need to keep it well sealed and keep cut-out parts covered with saran or your practice board cover while you're constructing your flower, etc. You can also mix it 50/50 with fondant, if you need to, for certain other types of decoration--although, I tend to just add gum-tex or the dry gum paste mix to fondant if I need a large amount of 50/50.

I'll be making several gum paste decorations over the next few weeks and I'm going to be using the Wilton pre-made. I've looked for, and priced other pre-made gum pastes (Satin Ice, Bakels/Pettinice, and Nicholas Lodge). The Wilton product is competitively priced, it's readily available locally, I can use Michael's coupons to cut the cost, and I don't have to pay shipping to get it--works for me on all levels icon_lol.gif

I was able to get a bag of this at Michael's today and the retail product doesn't have tylose in it--it has gum trag. I wish they'd kept the tylose, but I'm sure this will be fine. I'll let you all know how it works!

Rae

BlakesCakes Posted 17 May 2006 , 5:31pm
post #8 of 19

duplicate post

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 17 May 2006 , 5:53pm
post #9 of 19

You can get the coupons on line from the Michael's site.

BlakesCakes Posted 18 May 2006 , 2:45am
post #10 of 19

Copied from Michaels.com :

"Michaels coupons are not available online or via email. The Michaels coupon is only available in the advertisement inserted in participating local newspapers."

Sorry icon_cry.gif
Rae

bush1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bush1 Posted 18 May 2006 , 2:52am
post #11 of 19

Thanks everyone. I'm going to go check the price of that scroll roller again. I would like to think that the store I saw it at doesn't have it that overpriced. Maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me. Guess I'll go and look back through my sunday paper for the coupon!!!

Peachshortcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachshortcake Posted 18 May 2006 , 2:56am
post #12 of 19

If i dont have a coupon i just tell the cashier i didnt recieve one. She just takes down my name and thats that. 40% off.

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 18 May 2006 , 5:18am
post #13 of 19

If they are making pre-made gumpaste and offering gumpaste classes, I sure hope they will update their outdated gumpaste instruction book.. That thing has got to go!! thumbsdown.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 18 May 2006 , 5:35am
post #14 of 19

Oh, Tami, I have to agree....It's fine as a starter kit, but...

I think that if they're going to make the pre-made stuff, they really should get into cutter sets, REAL luster dusts, petal dusts, stamens (they discontinued the 2 types they offered icon_cool.gif ), proper guage wires cut in lengths, etc. They'll be much more successful if they offer "one stop shopping" for this stuff. With their current lines, it shouldn't be too hard to get some of these things into the pipeline.

Also, they are encouraging their instructors to offer "mini" gum paste classes. I don't know the specifics, but I think they must take a gum paste class AT Wilton in order to be permitted to teach it.

Hopefully this is the beginning of good things to come icon_wink.gif
Rae

tonenia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonenia Posted 19 May 2006 , 5:24pm
post #15 of 19

Hey, y'all if you have a Hobby Lobby in your area our Michaesl excepts there coupons. Give it a try as you can get Hobby Lobby coupons off the internet..... Print several.....

BlakesCakes Posted 19 May 2006 , 5:41pm
post #16 of 19

icon_cry.gif Sadly, Michael's won't take internet coupons from competitors--at least the Michael's in the Mayfield and Mentor areas of NE Ohio. I was told that it is a company-wide policy because Michael's themselves doesn't do internet coupons.

Rae

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 19 May 2006 , 5:50pm
post #17 of 19

Can someone please post a link or picture of this roller?? I usually use coupons in the stores for wilton items, is the only way to shop! icon_surprised.gifD
Michaels and ACMoore might have big coupons coming up for Memorial day. They usually do for holidays. And i find that ACmoore has better prices for these items. I've compared things often, there's very few things michaels has at a better price.

Kat

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 23 May 2006 , 6:13pm
post #18 of 19

Anyone have a pic of how this looks? or where can i find it?
I have a few wilton't scroll set, i'm guessing those are not it. right?

thanks,
Kat

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 23 May 2006 , 6:24pm
post #19 of 19

I think the one they're referring to is just a regular sized rolling pin but it has like a rubber impression mat attatched to it (doesn't come off) and it has spiral shapes on it.....like this.......but they're little and all over it!

http://www.gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/maze/spiral.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%