Airbrushing.. Messy

Decorating By tinacr Updated 1 May 2007 , 11:31pm by jenbenjr

tinacr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinacr Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 8:14pm
post #1 of 10

I'm new at airbrushing.. but i made a cake and the spray goes everywhere around the cake and on the board. What do you do to keep it from going everywhere? I tried to put wax paper under the edges but when i removed it the icing pulled and white was showing. I was making a playstation and didn't want a boarder.

What also do you think is the best way to practice the airbrush and projector? Always on a cake or on paper towels?

9 replies
step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 8:26pm
post #2 of 10

Whenever I use Wilton color mists I HAVE to put down newspaper...ALL OVER THE SURFACE! It does go every where! icon_confused.gif
If you didn't have a border you could use the less sticky painters tape.
Go to aceofcakes.com and watch them make the Cambell's Soup cake and you'll see what I mean! very Helpful!
Good luck for next time! icon_biggrin.gif

cupcakegirl27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakegirl27 Posted 1 May 2007 , 9:23pm
post #3 of 10

I went to the paint section and bought a couple of big plastic painters tarps for when I airbrush. That way it doesnt get all over the carpet, I also use one on the walls too.

markbolin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
markbolin Posted 1 May 2007 , 10:58pm
post #4 of 10

I hate to say it but there really is no solution to your problem. I have my airbrush station set up in my shop so my wife doesnt kill me for getting color all over the kitchen. As the others stated you need to cover your entire work station when using the airbrush. It is such a fine mist that it can carry for 10 to 20 ft. As for the the cake board use a board that is coated that way you can wipe the overspray off with a paper towell when your done.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 1 May 2007 , 11:05pm
post #5 of 10

yep I agree with mark there. Also it helps to turn down the pressure on the compresser. I find that I have less overspray if I have my pressure turned down. You can also use a piece of cardstock to "mask" off your cake board. Just hold it against the bottom of the cake and spray away. Use it on each side as you go along. It can be reused for a while as a mask. That way you keep the spray from getting all over the board.

sillychick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillychick Posted 1 May 2007 , 11:11pm
post #6 of 10

maybe it goes without saying but when using your airbrush....WEAR A MASK!! I always forget to buy them and end up with beautifully colored kleenexes, if you know what I mean. icon_wink.gif

Last time I used mine I put my cake in a box and covered everything around it, but something still got color on it. I never could figure out where it was coming from but every once in a while it would just show up on something. Usually my hands and shirt right about the time I was ready to leave!

itsloops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsloops Posted 1 May 2007 , 11:13pm
post #7 of 10

I was going to ask for one for my birthday but now I'm afraid of the mess. icon_surprised.gif

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 1 May 2007 , 11:15pm
post #8 of 10

o hun the benefits far outweigh the defecits. They are soo much fun.

itsloops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsloops Posted 1 May 2007 , 11:19pm
post #9 of 10

You're right.

I should try it before I speak. icon_lol.gif

I've never airbrushed before. Some people make it look so easy though.

jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 1 May 2007 , 11:31pm
post #10 of 10

I have had my airbrush for about a month now and haven't used it yet. I am really excited about it but I am so worried about the mess. I consider myself a pretty picky person when it comes to how messy my house is and I just don't know how to go about it. I thought about draping off a section in my basement to try it but I am still worried about the mess down there!! thumbsdown.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%