Race Track Cake

Decorating By abyrd Updated 6 May 2007 , 3:12pm by CajunDaisy

abyrd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abyrd Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 9

My son is turning 5 next week and wants a "race track cake". Any ideas for a simple cake? I only use buttercream and I'm not very advanced.

8 replies
oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 8:20pm
post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by abyrd

My son is turning 5 next week and wants a "race track cake". Any ideas for a simple cake? I only use buttercream and I'm not very advanced.

The racetrack cake I did in my photos I did about a year before I discovered CC and started experimenting with stuff, So I would say it was pretty simple in that regard, if you wanna look for ideas, it was easy, the icing on top and the little racecar things and the mini oreos for tires. Of course if I did it now it might not look so sloppy icon_smile.gif)

whatever you do I'm sure you'll have fun!

deester Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deester Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 8:43pm
post #3 of 9

The racetrack cake I did (in my photos) is from this site: http://jas.familyfun.go.com/recipefinder/display?id=50190

Although I did mine a little differently, you get the idea, and it was easy.

Good Luck and remember he is only 5 and will love whatever you put together!!

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 8:52pm
post #4 of 9

Check out the race track cake in my photos. Might Give you an idea.

puzzlegut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzlegut Posted 1 May 2007 , 5:08am
post #5 of 9

When I did my race track cake (picture is in my photos), I did a 9x13 cake and cut an oval shape of chocolate MMF to represent the track and used the grass tip #233 to make grass on top. I was also able to buy chocolate foil covered race cars to go on top.

abyrd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abyrd Posted 1 May 2007 , 3:28pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks for the great ideas! I think I saw something on each one that I can incorporate into mine. I am not going to stress over it; you are right deester, 5 year olds will love it regardless. Thanks again!

jenkevin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenkevin Posted 3 May 2007 , 7:44pm
post #7 of 9

I did this for my son's b-party it was my first cake decorating!!! icon_biggrin.gif It was cars theme, I used a 12x18 rectangle pan, then an 12 in round and cut it in half. For my first time it came out pretty good, could use small pans to get the same effect.
Jen
LL

Sun11598 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sun11598 Posted 3 May 2007 , 7:59pm
post #8 of 9

I don't have a pic - but I did one for my nephews b-day years ago.

I did a square pan and a round pan - cut the round cake in half and put on either end of the square cake.

I put green icing (all buttercream icing) on top and a gray/black race track. I also used colored sugar sprinkles (green) on the grass.

I used lifesavers (white) broken in half as a border for the track. And toy racecars decorated the top.

CajunDaisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CajunDaisy Posted 6 May 2007 , 3:12pm
post #9 of 9

Try this website. It looks pretty easy and it is adorable!

http://www.marsbrightideas.com/birthdays/themes/racing/cakestreats/c_1723_1.jsp

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%