Hand And Finger Pain-Gloves? Suggestions?

Decorating By Susecita Updated 16 May 2006 , 10:04pm by Katydidz

Susecita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susecita Posted 16 May 2006 , 8:32pm
post #1 of 8

So the job is going great obviously. I ADORE IT. However, I have started getting hand cramps and tingly fingers from so much decorating (I did 8 cakes in one hour today). I am not what to do. I thought of purchasing gloves because as my Wilton instructor said, I am too young in the profession to be getting these pains. What do you guys suggest I use? Wear? Do?

Thanks!

-Sus

7 replies
TastersDelight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TastersDelight Posted 16 May 2006 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 8

I would also like to know, I've been having alot of elbow pain since I've been doing so many demo's to build by portfolio.
Thanks

ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 16 May 2006 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 8

I started having tingling fingers and arm pain back in October. Bad news...tendonitis due to overwork from the computer/job. Decorating cakes doesn't make it any better. My doctor say's that only rest will heal it icon_sad.gif but did suggest wearing an arm brace for support.

chocomama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocomama Posted 16 May 2006 , 8:42pm
post #4 of 8

I had been having hand and shoulder pain before I started decorating and was seeing a chiroprator for it. After I started taking classes we talked about the possibility of having carpel tunnel syndrome, also. If your pain/tingling is mainly in your thumb and first finger, there's a good chance that's the problem. His advice was to take a break when I first notice pain or numbness and to stretch the fingers and hand backwards and down. Also, try rubbing the underside of your forearm as there may be knots in there causing the pain, too. (Using a bit of lotion helps when you rub.) A glove is recommended and you can get them at most craft stores or your doctor may prescribe one for you. I can't imagine doing 8 cakes in an hour. My hand hurts after doing just one cake and I'm still recovering from the basketweave I did last Thursday! HTH!

Susecita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susecita Posted 16 May 2006 , 8:46pm
post #5 of 8

Yep, just decorating though. The cakes were already iced (whew) but the thing is I can't afford to rest my hand for a long period of time at work. I was going to venture into Walmart to check out gloves but dunno if there are other places I should look ats.

Thanks!

-Sus

janethorp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janethorp Posted 16 May 2006 , 8:48pm
post #6 of 8

I have had the same trouble. Since I do not decorate all the time I started to carry a soft rubber ball to squeeze between cake orders. I carry it in purse and when I have a spare moment I use it.
Trying to build up my strength so when I get that huge cake order I will be ready!!! LOL

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 16 May 2006 , 9:33pm
post #7 of 8

It is probably because you are not used to that much squeezing. There isn't a lot you can do but build up some endurance.

I use sports cream like Bengay pain relieving rub. Also try not to fill your tubes so full. You can fill your bag and twist the bag half way down. This will leave a pocket of icing to squeeze and a reserve above your hand.

Katydidz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katydidz Posted 16 May 2006 , 10:04pm
post #8 of 8

I have the same problem. Last weekend I was doing a ruffle border and I could only do a couple inches of ruffle before I had to stop and let my hand rest. Luckily the wedding cake I'm doing next week requires very little piping on my part or I'd be in big trouble! I did however get one of those spandex crafters glove and it seems to help. My hand still hurts, but it doesn't get tired as fast.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%